Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting permanent redirection of standard input Post 302094703 by gfhgfnhhn on Tuesday 31st of October 2006 06:24:41 AM
Old 10-31-2006
permanent redirection of standard input

while running a user inter-active program
how can we get the commands from a
file instead of the user?

is there anyway to permanently redirect content
of a file to standard input?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Redirection

Hi everybody, first of all i am a new member in UNIX.com and this is my first post. I am impressed with the amount of information a person can ever have in this forum, it is really great having something similiar; anyways let me tell you about the problem I am having, hope you will answer me.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majeed73
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard output and redirection

Hello, Is is possible to redirect stdout to a file as well as to the console/screen or display in ksh. any thoughts suggestions/input is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard input

how can i redirect standard input? i dont remember :/, though could you redirec not from a command? i mean, to redirect always stdin and stout (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jariya
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard output redirection from a variable

Hi, trying to store a comand involving a redirection in a variable and then run this variable. But the redirection gets lost. Ex: #!ksh MYCMD="ls -l > dirlist.txt" $MYCMD This runs the command but displays the result in the terminal instead of redirecting it to the text file. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
4 Replies

7. Solaris

standard input

Please give me any example for standard input in Solaris. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When do I use input redirection?

Can someone please explain when input redirection is necessary? For example, "cat filename" and "cat< filename" produce the same result. I was told that if I need to bunzip a file that I should type "bunzip2<filename.bz2." However, if I omit the "<" I still get the same result. Can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Removing punctuations from file input or standard input

Just started learning Unix and received my first assignment recently. We haven't learned many commands and honestly, I'm stumped. I'd like to receive assistance/guidance/hints. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: How do I write a shell script that takes in a file or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozilla
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection script

Hi, #!/bin/bash while ; do rm -f /tmp/pipe mkfifo /tmp/pipe ./yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 < /tmp/pipe & mplayer tom_and_jerry.mp4 -vf scale=480:360 -vo yuv4mpeg:file=/tmp/pipe sleep 65; done When I run this - after mplayer finishes playing video it says - Exiting... (End of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies
fsdaemon(1M)															      fsdaemon(1M)

NAME
fsdaemon - pass-through daemon for processing system commands SYNOPSIS
fork] DESCRIPTION
The is a user level daemon that provides a mechanism to pass information between applications and common commands and library functional- ity, allowing certain applications to dynamically add functionality to a system. This is currently only supported for the class of APIs, such as: The API are not yet publicly available, but the commands that use the mentioned APIs depend on this daemon to always be running in the HP- UX environments. Options When is started, indicates whether it should fork a child process and exit the parent process or run just as the parent process and not return. A value of 1 for fork will make fork and exec a child process and then cause the parent process to exit. Kills the current running instance of Tests and waits until is ready to process commands. There is a window where could be started and not yet setup to process commands. The caller should invoke separately with the option to block until is ready to process commands. The entries to start are in the file. These entries be present to ensure correct functionality of the system. They should appear as one of the first entries in placing entries before entries in is dangerous and unsupported. The following are some of the HP-UX commands that use via the above APIs: and RETURN VALUE
: 0 Successful start of If invoked with the option, 0 is always returned. >0 Errno of failure that caused to fail to start. This applies only if was started with the option. ERRORS
If is not running, the errno will be returned by an application that invokes these APIs. If this happens, please see your system adminis- trator to make sure is properly running. EXAMPLES
To start such that it can be invoked without permanently blocking the calling process: To kill the currently running instance of To check to see if the currently running instance of is ready and able to process requests sent to it: The following entries for starting should appear in the file: WARNINGS
The APIs are not yet publicly available, but the commands that use the mentioned family of APIs depend on this daemon to always be running on HP-UX environments. The administrator is not expected to invoke the command from the shell prompt; it should always be started via an entry in This manpage is provided for administrator's trouble shooting purposes, and to allow the system administrator to repair the entries for this daemon in case of corruption. The interface/options provided in this manpage are HP-UX release specific, and may be different in future releases. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fstyp(1M), mkboot(1M), mount(1M), fstatfsdev(3C), fstatvfsdev(3C), statvfsdev(3C), statfsdev(3C), inittab(4). fsdaemon(1M)