Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Upgrading from 5.1.0.0 to 5.2.0.0 Post 302094656 by dukessd on Monday 30th of October 2006 09:41:38 PM
Old 10-30-2006
What machine is it?
A lot of older machines won't support AIX later than 5.1.
The backup solution will depend on what backup devices you have, tape, writeable CD or DVD, a NFS drive, etc.
Local backups are best (unless you have a NIM server) because if the box won't boot you can still boot from the tape / CD / DVD and restore it - You can never be sure your backup solution works until you restore it!
If you can, take 2 mksysbs and a savevg for each vg, just to be safe.
As you are only doing a release not a version upgrade there is little to worry about.
If you have a spare disk or a mirrored rootvg you could investigate alt_disk_install.
http://publibn.boulder.ibm.com/doc_l...I0723971004MKM
Which will allow you to keep your current system and try the upgrade, if the upgrade fails just reboot the original system - still take the backup before you start though...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading Redhat 7.1 --> 7.2

Is there any possible way to upgrade Linux Red Hat 7.1 into 7.2 and if it is, please inform me how to do that.. Thanx forwardly:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ozzy20
2 Replies

2. Solaris

upgrading java

Hi there I have been tasked with upgrading java on one of our boxes to version 6.0 or later (package version 1.5 or later someone told me). but ive been trying to find the SUNW package for this and cant see it, so I checked pkginfo for installed package and there isnt one ....even though java is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Upgrading PC Memory

hello folks, I am planning to upgrade my PC's ram. currently the ram I have is 2x256MB=512MB/133MHz (DDR266) - DDR SDRAM, PC-2100. My guess is that it has 184 Pins. I would like to get a DDR2 with 667MHz, 240 pin. Is it possible, since pins don't match. Do they have to match? (there are 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

upgrading from solaries 9 to 10

Hi, I am running soalries 9 on sparc machine and would like to upgrade it to solaries 10, I have downloaded and burned the ISO file on the CD. How do I upgrade it now? Is there any guide or anything available? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokkan
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

upgrading packages

Hello, I am using Redhat Linux Enterprise 4 AS. To upgrade NFS, I had to browse the internet and finally I got the latest rpm https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2005-727.html That was a time-consuming procedure. On Solaris, I am used to go to sunfreeware.sun.com and download the latest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

6. Solaris

OS_LDAP upgrading

Hi All, We are going to upgrading Solaris-5.8 to Solaris 5.10, as well as LDAP 5.1 service pack-3 to LDAP 5.1 service pack-4, So I'm requesting to all what is the best way to upgrade Solaris-5.8, LDAP 5.1 service pack-3 to LDAP 5.1 service pack-4 in solaris-5.10, As per my knowledge there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkanuri
1 Replies

7. AIX

Upgrading OS from 5.2 to 5.3

We currently have test and production servers running AIX 5.2, DB2 8.1(Prod), DB2 8.2(Test),Websphere 6.1 on both. We need to upgrade to DB2 to version 9, but to do that we also need to upgrade the operating system to 5.3 and go from 32 bit kernel to 64 bit kernal. Looking for information on any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
3 Replies

8. AIX

Upgrading from aix 5.3 to ?

Hey guys, since AIX 5.3 reaches EOS on april 2012, I really need to update my systems asap. Any experience on upgrading directly to 7.1, with sap/db2/oracle? could do fresh installs and import my sap/db vgs, but this would be a lot of work cheers Funksen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

9. AIX

Upgrading Power5 from 5.3 to...

I have a power5 that I would like to update and bring everything forward. I am wondering about trouble-free upgrades. Is it better to go 5.3 -> 7 or 5.3 ->6 ->7? The power5 box is behind and hopefully can learn from experiences here. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading os to redhat 5.8

Hello All, I am trying to upgrade redhat from 5.6 to 5.8. When i use yum update -yit installs 5.9 I dont want 5.9, instead i would like to upgrade to 5.8 is there anyway to specify a version when you are doing yum update? thanks Continue here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam25ca
0 Replies
BOOTCDBACKUP(1) 						   bootcd utils 						   BOOTCDBACKUP(1)

NAME
bootcdbackup - create a bootable offline backup of a unix system SYNOPSIS
bootcdbackup [-i] [-v] [-s] [-c <config directory>] [-url <url] [-nomount] [-2diskconf <file>] <dev> <name> <builddir> DESCRIPTION
bootcdbackup creates a offline backup from a installed system. You need a running bootcd to boot the system with. This CD/DVD is booted on the system and bootcdbackup creates a bootable CD/DVD with the bootcd kernel and the backup disk as tar-file. To restore or clone the system, boot the CD/DVD image and install it with bootcd2disk -c <name> on the system. bootcdbackup can try to discover the disk partition by searching for fstab on the given partition. A other way to backup the partition ta- ble is the program bootcdmk2diskconf which creates a configuration file on a running system. OPTIONS
-i The bootcdbackup runs in interactive mode and you can run each function manually. This option is useful for debugging. -v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -s This option can be used to disable interactive questions and to try to ignore errors. -c <config directory> The configuration directory which includes the file "bootcdbackup.conf", default is "/etc/bootcd". -url <url> If bootcdbackup is slow on your system (because of a slow CD/DVD drive or the HP ILO virtual CD interface), you can use an image server to get the image from. bootcdbackup use the SWAP partition of your upcoming system as temporary space and copy the image from the configured image server to this partition and use it as image. The image server url is configured with this option. -nomount The target disk should not be mounted and no search for fstab is done. --cpio Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of cpio can be forced. --star Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of star can be forced. -2diskconf <file> The parameter configures a bootcd2disk.conf for the restore of the system done by bootcd2disk. The configuration file can be created with the command bootcdmk2diskconf. <dev> Configures the device where bootcdbackup finds the file "fstab" and discover the configuration for the restore. <name> The name of the backup (no blanks!) is used on the creation time and to restore the backup with bootcd2disk -c <name>. <builddir> Builddir is an directory on the backup system where bootcdbackup build the backup CD/DVD. Space for the CD/DVD image, for compression and the data is needed! All other configuration has to be done in the config files. FILES
/etc/bootcd/bootcdbackup.conf Configuration for bootcdbackup. SEE ALSO
Documentation in bootcdbackup.conf bootcdbackup.conf(5), bootcd(1), bootcdflopcp(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com> and Carsten Dinkelmann <Carsten.Dinkelmann@foobar-cpa.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). bootcdbackup 2007-07-05 BOOTCDBACKUP(1)