Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: inetd.conf in linux
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat inetd.conf in linux Post 302094635 by BOFH on Monday 30th of October 2006 04:04:55 PM
Old 10-30-2006
How weird is that? Thanks for posting the update. It helps the troubleshooting for next time.

Carl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inetd.conf file = gone on my home linux box

Hi there I'm trying to set up swat on my linux box at home and when i read the man pages on it it says that i have to edit a file called inetd.conf but i did a search like find / -name inetd.conf but it only comes up with this. /etc/linuxconf/archive/Home-Office/etc/inetd.conf find:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nemex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux file corresponding to HP-UX inetd.conf

Hi!!, I have been working on a HP UX box all these days.. For adding a user defined service, I used to put an entry for this service corresponing to a port number in /etc/services. These services were then defined in inetd.conf. Now I have moved to Mandrake linux. I can find a file named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot edit inetd.conf???

I'm trying to edit the inetd.conf but for some reason when I vi into it, it says "Read Only" even though I am root and the perms are 777?!? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Script for turning processes in etc/inetd.conf on and off

Anyone have a perl script that can be run via a web browser to turn ftp or telnet on and off in etc/inetd.conf ? Believe it or not but I ride a motorcycle a lot in the summer and carry a laptop in my saddlebags to connect from almost anywhere via Verizon alongside the highway. However, have too... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomi39
0 Replies

5. Solaris

basic question on sd.conf and lpc.conf file

Hello Guys, Do we need to configure this file only if we add SAN disk or even if we add local disk, do we need to modify? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

save resolv.conf in linux

hi, I use red hat linux . When I start up network service . I get below error in eth2 root@vls etc]# service network restart Shutting down interface eth2: Shutting down loopback interface: Bringing up loopback interface: Bringing up interface eth2: RTNETLINK answers: File exists Error... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
10 Replies

7. AIX

Disabling entries on inetd.conf (AIX).

Hello, We're working on securing the AIX environment. started with disabling unused services on AIX. Below are the entries which are not commented on my test LPAR (even other LPARs). ntalk dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/talkd talkd daytime stream tcp nowait root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: system.engineer
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to update rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf

Hello all, Newbie here. I'm currently tasked with updating rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf on a large set of servers. I know the exact logging configurations that I want to enable. I have updated both files on on a server and hope to use the updated files as a template for the rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mide
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
snntpd,v0.3.8(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  snntpd,v0.3.8(8)

NAME
snntpd - small news server SYNOPSIS
snntpd [-t timeout] [-P] [-S] [logger...] DESCRIPTION
snntpd is a small news server. It needs to be run under inetd or tcpserver, as root or as the owner of /var/spool/sn. snntpd does not fork into the background. It expects to read and write from and to the network on descriptors 0 and 1. ARGUMENTS
logger... (usually /usr/bin/logger) is taken to be a logging program, and all log output is piped to it. If logger... is not specified, log messages are directed to descriptor 2. OPTIONS
-t timeout specifies how long snntpd should wait for input before it gives up and exits. timeout is in seconds and defaults to 600. -P snntpd includes it's pid in log output. -S Suppress NNTP greeting on startup. This is useful if you want to perform authentication before running snntpd, or want to provide your own greeting, from a wrapper. POSTING AND POSTING PERMISSIONS
Posts are usually handled externally by the /usr/sbin/SNPOST script, which is responsible for fine-grain posting control; handling of con- trol messages; and the ultimate distribution of the posted article. snntpd permits or denies posting in a very simple manner: If /var/spool/sn/.nopost exists, posting is not allowed. Otherwise, if the environment variable POSTING_OK is not set, posting is not allowed. Otherwise if POSTING_OK is set (to the empty string), posting is generally allowed, and all POSTed articles are piped to the SNPOST script, which has the final say in the matter. The value of $POSTING_OK is not currently used, but is reserved. FILES
/var/spool/sn/.fifo If this file exists, and is a fifo, snntpd will write the name of a newsgroup into it as that newsgroup becomes the current one. If the fifo does not exist snntpd will not create it. /var/spool/sn/.noservice If this file exists, snntpd will display its first line and exit. If the file can't be read or is empty, a default message is dis- played. This is useful for temporarily disabling the news server while you perform any maintenance. /var/spool/sn/.nopost See POSTING PERMISSIONS above. /var/spool/sn/.SNPOST If this script or program exists, it is invoked instead of SNPOST to accept a posted article. /var/spool/sn/news.group.name/.nopost These files really belong to SNPOST, and it is unfortunate that snntpd has to check for their existence to determine the posting flag for the LIST command. See /usr/sbin/SNPOST. /var/spool/sn/news.group.name/.info If this file exists, its first line is taken as the description of that group for use with the LIST NEWSGROUPS command. /var/spool/sn/news.group.name/.times is a binary file containing entry times, to support the NEWNEWS command. /var/spool/sn/news.group.name/.created is an empty file retained for it's timestamp, to support the NEWGROUPS command. SIGNALS
If snntpd catches SIGHUP, the files /var/spool/sn/{.fifo,.noservice,.nopost} (see below) are checked again, as they are during startup. Other signals have default behaviour. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See also /usr/sbin/SNPOST for a list of environment variables exported by snntpd. PATH The PATH must be set such that snntpd can find SNPOST in order to accept postings. If PATH does not include /usr/sbin, /usr/sbin will be appended to it. POSTING_OK This variable helps determine the site-wide posting policy. See POSTING PERMISSIONS above. TCPREMOTEIP If this value is set, it is taken to be the dotted-quad IP address of the connecting client. If it is not set, snntpd attempts to derive it for itself, and then set its value. TCPLOCALIP as above, but for the server's dotted-quad IP. SNROOT If this is set and is not empty, the value is used everywhere in place of /var/spool/sn, the default news spool directory. SEE ALSO
snsend(8), /usr/sbin/SNPOST N.B. Harold Tay snntpd,v0.3.8(8)