Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Grid vs. Parallel vs. Distributed Post 302094618 by rhfrommn on Monday 30th of October 2006 11:23:58 AM
Old 10-30-2006
I agree mostly with Perderabo's definitions. I'd just add examples.

Parallel Computing - A vector supercomputer like a Cray. Older Cray's like the Y/MP and so on. I know they are now making more distributed/clustered supercomputers too, but the big single Cray boxes are the example of Parallel supercomputing.

Distributed Computing - A huge set of systems all doing the same thing. You can add, remove, and replace an individual one without affecting the overall service at all. Something like the huge Google linux farms that handle search requests.

Grid Computing - I can't come up with a better example than Perderabo's SETI screensaver grid. A commercial example would be Sun's grid they rent out for $1 per hour per cpu.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Distributed

I've downloaded distributed latest build for dnetc, and I think i installed it. Not sure where the excicuteable would be. Any help? i realize this is a little ambigious, so I can allways reintstall it if i know how to put it in a specific directory.. does anyone know if VNC works for the Intel... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veitcha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a grid file

Hi everybody: I want to create a grid file for export to statistical program. My aid is create a file with both rows, one row are x coordenates and other for y coordenates. All grid obviousolly are same space. the form that i want is this: x=(400000 ........ 600000) and y=(4000000 .......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

3. AIX

GRID containers technology

Hi forum, I am aware that on Hp-Superdome technology (Blade Servers) is avaliable while on Solaris GRID technology is the latest in the market. I would like to know if similar high end technology is also available for AIX ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dheram
1 Replies

4. Programming

Distributed Automation kill()

Ok, so Ive been stumped by this problem for the last 3 days, and my exploration is reaching its limitations... The key idea is that at any moment in time, the automation controller could theoretically have any number of threads open to any number of node machines running any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

5. High Performance Computing

how to do GRID COMPUTING?

Hello, I want to know how to combine the processing power of given 2 FEDORA machines in LAN. Can you please tell me the commands,etc used to perform such an operations.Can you please give me the links where I can find more info on this topic. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
5 Replies
GRID-MAPFILE-DELET(8)						  Globus Commands					     GRID-MAPFILE-DELET(8)

NAME
grid-mapfile-delete-entry - Remove entries from a gridmap file SYNOPSIS
grid-mapfile-delete-entry [-help] [-usage] [-version] [-versions] grid-mapfile-delete-entry {-dn DISTINGUISHED-NAME} {-ln LOCAL-NAME...} [[-d] | [-dryrun]] [[-mapfile MAPFILE] | [-f MAPFILE]] DESCRIPTION
The grid-mapfile-delete-entry program deletes mappings from a gridmap file. If both the -dn and -ln> options are specified, grid-mapfile-delete-entry removes entries which meet both criteria (remove entries mapping DISTINGUISHED-NAME to LOCAL-NAME for each LOCAL-NAME specified). If only -dn or -ln is specified all entries for that DISTINGUISHED-NAME or LOCAL-NAME are removed. By default, grid-mapfile-delete-entry will modify the gridmap file named by the GRIDMAP environment variable if present, or the file /etc/grid-security/grid-mapfile if not. This can be changed by the use of the -mapfile or -f command-line options. Prior to modifying a gridmap file, grid-mapfile-delete-entry saves its current contents to a file with the string .old appended to the original file name. The full set of command-line options to grid-mapfile-delete-entry are: -help, -usage Display the command-line options to grid-mapfile-delete-entry. -version, -versions Display the version number of the grid-mapfile-delete-entry command. The second form includes more details. -dn DISTINGUISHED-NAME The X.509 distinguished name to remove from the gridmap file. If the -ln option is not specified, remove all entries for this name; otherwise, remove entries that match both this name and the local name. The name should be in OpenSSL's oneline format. -ln LOCAL-NAME... The POSIX user name to remove from the gridmap file. Include multiple LOCAL-NAME strings after the -ln command-line option to remove multiple names from the gridmap. If the -dn option is not specifeid, remove all entries for these names; otherwise, remove entries that match the DISTINGUISHED-NAME and any of the LOCAL-NAME values. -d, -dryrun Display diagnostics about what would be removed from the gridmap file, but don't actually modify the file. -mapfile MAPFILE, -f MAPFILE Modify the gridmap file named by MAPFILE instead of the default. EXAMPLES
Remove all mappings for a distinguished name: % grid-mapfile-delete-entry "/DC=org/DC=example/DC=grid/CN=Joe User" Modifying /etc/grid-security/grid-mapfile ... Deleting entry: "/DC=org/DC=example/DC=grid/CN=Joe User" juser,juser2 (1) entry deleted Remove the mapping between a distinguished name and a single local username: % grid-mapfile-delete-entry "/DC=org/DC=example/DC=grid/CN=Joe User" -ln juser2 Modifying /etc/grid-security/grid-mapfile ... Current entry: "/DC=org/DC=example/DC=grid/CN=Joe User" juser (1) mapping removed: (juser2), (0) not present and ignored (0) entries deleted ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of grid-mapfile-delete-entry: GRIDMAP Path to the default gridmap to modify. FILES
The following files affect the execution of grid-mapfile-delete-entry: /etc/grid-security/grid-mapfile Path to the default gridmap to modify if GRIDMAP environment variable is not set. SEE ALSO
grid-mapfile-add-entry(8), grid-mapfile-check-consistency(8) AUTHOR
University of Chicago Globus Toolkit 5.0.1 03/19/2010 GRID-MAPFILE-DELET(8)