Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Write in a tape
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Write in a tape Post 302094551 by tovohery on Monday 30th of October 2006 01:00:57 AM
Old 10-30-2006
Write in a tape

Hi all,

I need to write on a tape drive with AIX5.3.
How to know the name of this tape and what is the procedure to write on this tape?

Regards,
Tovo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

3. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Failing to write retrieve script for tape to disk conversion

I have the below script which has been written to retrieve files from tape drive i.e. TSM server. Now i have to write the script using UNIX commands for retrieve operation but I am not able to proceed. The script is: #!/usr/local/bin/expect -f set timeout 1800 set file spawn $env(SHELL)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrsaurav
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about a tape write error doing backups

Hello all. UNIX dummy here :p Anyway I was trying to do a full backup of my work server SUN SPARC SERVER 1000 machine (yes we are actually using this dinosaur). I did the ufsdump comand and everything was fine until I got to the dumping of regular files. During the run I got the following... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hammerva
7 Replies

6. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

7. AIX

Tape drive write status

Is there a command on AIX that will show the write status of a tape? We have sysback running via a cron job backing up to a tape. I want to be able to check the progress of the backup. I need a command that will show ne the progress of the backup or the speed of the backup while it is taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

DLT 7000 tape drive failing with "write error on a record in the index"

HP rp5450 (L2000) running HP-UX 11.11B Using DLT 7000 and DLT 4000 tape drives for nightly full backups Backup jobs created by SAM DLT 7000 cron entry is as follows: 00 2 * * 1-6 /usr/sam/lbin/br_backup DLT FULL Y /dev/rmt/0m /var/sam/graphLCAa17036 root Y 1 N > /var/sam/SAM_br_msgs 2>&1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreh99
1 Replies

9. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
tcopy(1)							   User Commands							  tcopy(1)

NAME
tcopy - copy a magnetic tape SYNOPSIS
tcopy source [destination] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility copies the magnetic tape mounted on the tape drive specified by the source argument. The only assumption made about the contents of a tape is that there are two tape marks at the end. When only a source drive is specified, tcopy scans the tape, and displays information about the sizes of records and tape files. If a des- tination is specified, tcopy makes a copies the source tape onto the destination tape, with blocking preserved. As it copies, tcopy pro- duces the same output as it does when only scanning a tape. The tcopy utility requires the use of Berkeley-compatible device names. For example, example% tcopy /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/2b ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mt(1), ioctl(2), attributes(5) NOTES
tcopy will only run on systems supporting an associated set of ioctl(2) requests. SunOS 5.10 10 Mar 2000 tcopy(1)