Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need to change root passwd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to change root passwd Post 302094430 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of October 2006 01:12:30 PM
Old 10-27-2006
If you can edit the shadow file(/a/etc/shadow for solaris, apparently) by hand, you can delete root's password completely, letting you login as root without a password. Back it up of course. See details here.

And if you logged into sys with su, wouldn't you still be logged in as root once you exit from su?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing passwd root?

I knew it would happen sooner or later.... We have a requirement that specific individuals need "sudo root" authority. I knew it only a matter of time before someone decided to change the root password (at least they owned up to it). Now the question is how can I grant all rights except... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsl
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dont have the root passwd for Solaris 8

Hello chiefs :) I have a SUN Enterprise 250, running Solaris 8.5 - I have managed to be able to connect a dumb terminal to the box via a standard straight-through rj45 cable, to my ibm laptop. OK so Putty can connect to the box via ssh - nice! But I dont have the password for root - or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: congo
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Recover root passwd

Any body pls let me know the procedure to recover ROOT password in Sun Netra 20 Server..I forgot the password. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gini
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How to set new Root Passwd

I forget the Root Passwd of my Sun Netra 20 server and break the same by editing /etc/shadow.Now there is no passwd for Root. And How to set new root passwd?Pls help.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gini
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hw to reterive root passwd

heyy i forgot my root passwd but i cant reinstall due to some reason can anyone tell me hw to reterive root passwd (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightypp.nits
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to edit the /etc/passwd file not using root?

Hi All, Today I faced a problem trying to log in as root. The output error is cannot execute sh: No such file.... I doubted there is something wrong with shell interpreter which resides in /etc/passwd file for every user who logs in. I checked and the line for root account was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elthox
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

forgot root passwd

hi i have a RHEL 4 and have forgot root passwd tried to boot in by singel user and then changing the passwd but it's not letting me do that ......throwing some weird error as .......manipulation i also tried to make a new user from CLI but even though it's not letting me in from that user as... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: techbravo
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Root shell in /etc/passwd is corrupted

I accidentally changed root shell from /bin/bash to bash in /etc/password, then logged out from root. Now I can't login as root and got "No shell" error, although I have root password. "su -f -s /bin/bash" command does NOT work. There is no GUI interface for this system. My question: Do I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

Sudo entry required to set permission similar to ROOT without using password (PASSWD) change optio

Hi All I had installed sudo in HP UX 11.3 and it is working fine but not able to make entry required to set permission similar to ROOT without using password (PASSWD) change option for define user in /etc/sudoers file Please help if some know the syntex? :confused::wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deviltech
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)