Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tape Questions..
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tape Questions.. Post 302094359 by k_pranava on Friday 27th of October 2006 02:13:57 AM
Old 10-27-2006
Data Tape Questions..

Hi,

I am using Solaris 5.8. using Sun StorEdge EBS for backin up data to tapes.
When I type the "df -k ." command, I get output similar to the one below.

/apps/MyApp $ df -k .
Filesystem kbytes used
ndn002vif:/vol/vol1/hostname_app/MyApp 451079336 344002240

avail capacity Mounted on
107077096 77% /apps/MyApp.

My understanding of the above output is as follows. Please clarify.
/apps/MyApp is mounted on a tape. Any file written to this mount point is automatically written to the tape !!
/vol/vol1...are the logical partitions on the tape. ??
ndn002vif is the tape name??
There is no requirement for a separate tape dump command??
Tape can be on network???

Let me know if you need any information.

Thanks & Regards,
Pranav.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

copy tape to tape using dd

I have two tape drives attached to my system , and i am trying to copy one tape to another using both tape drives and using the following command : dd if=/dev/rmt/1 of=/dev/rmt/2 but unfortunitly i am getting the following error : read: Not enough space 0+0 records in 0+0 records... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsgeorge
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. AIX

How to copy a tape into another tape ?

I am new to AIX. I want to make a duplicate tape. How can I do that ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anonno
1 Replies

5. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. AIX

How to make a copy of a tape to another tape?

Hello, We need to make a copy of a backup tape, using the 2 tape recorders in IBM 3582 Tape Library We tried tu use "tcopy", it seems to work fine (no error messages) but we aren't sure if we can rely on it. my question is how to check if the copy succeded or not, but i also want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying tape-to-tape on UNIX

I am using a 4mm tape to backup my Unix system. However, I wanted to make a copy all of the files and archive headers (or just the archive headers if that's possible) created on one of my tapes to another 4mm tape. I only have one tape drive. Is there a command that will complete such task? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acoco
1 Replies

9. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
TCOPY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TCOPY(1)

NAME
tcopy -- copy and/or verify mag tapes SYNOPSIS
tcopy [-cvx] [-s maxblk] [src [dest]] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility is designed to copy magnetic tapes. The only assumption made about the tape layout is that there are two sequential EOF marks at the end. By default, the tcopy utility will print information about the sizes of records and files found on the /dev/sa0 tape, or on the tape specified by the src argument. If a destination tape is also specified by the dest argument, a copy of the source tape will be made. The blocking on the destination tape will be identical to that used on the source tape. Copying a tape will yield the same program output as if just printing the sizes. The following options are available: -c Copy src to dest and then verify that the two tapes are identical. -s maxblk Specify a maximum block size, maxblk. -v Given the two tapes src and dest, verify that they are identical. -x Output all informational messages to the standard error instead of the standard output. This option is useful when dest is given as /dev/stdout. SEE ALSO
mt(1), mtio(4) HISTORY
The tcopy command appeared in 4.3BSD. BUGS
Writing an image of a tape to a file does not preserve much more than the raw data. Block size(s) and tape EOF marks are lost which would otherwise be preserved in a tape-to-tape copy. End of data (EOD) is determined by two sequential EOF marks with no data between them. There used to be old systems which typically wrote three EOF's between tape files. The tcopy utility will erroneously stop copying early in this case. When using the copy/verify option -c, tcopy does not rewind the tapes prior to start. A rewind is performed after writing, prior to the ver- ification stage. If one does not start at the beginning-of-tape (BOT) then the comparison may not be of the intended data. BSD
December 20, 2006 BSD