Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Upgrading from 5.1.0.0 to 5.2.0.0 Post 302094333 by dukessd on Thursday 26th of October 2006 07:49:56 PM
Old 10-26-2006
You said you updated the microcode.
Do you mean the system firmware, or the device microcode?
Some devices like disks, adapters, CD drives, tape drives also have updatable microcode and it is a good idea to make sure all the embedded code is up to date before you attempt a software update / upgrade.

Bear in mind that software tends to be developed on the latest available firmware and microcode and some very strange things can happen if you try to run software on old system firmware or adapter / device microcode it has never been tested on.

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/firmware/gjsn

Also when upgrading to 5.2 I would aim to go straight to a ML of as least 5, higher is better, say 8 or 9.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading Redhat 7.1 --> 7.2

Is there any possible way to upgrade Linux Red Hat 7.1 into 7.2 and if it is, please inform me how to do that.. Thanx forwardly:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ozzy20
2 Replies

2. Solaris

upgrading java

Hi there I have been tasked with upgrading java on one of our boxes to version 6.0 or later (package version 1.5 or later someone told me). but ive been trying to find the SUNW package for this and cant see it, so I checked pkginfo for installed package and there isnt one ....even though java is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Upgrading PC Memory

hello folks, I am planning to upgrade my PC's ram. currently the ram I have is 2x256MB=512MB/133MHz (DDR266) - DDR SDRAM, PC-2100. My guess is that it has 184 Pins. I would like to get a DDR2 with 667MHz, 240 pin. Is it possible, since pins don't match. Do they have to match? (there are 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

upgrading from solaries 9 to 10

Hi, I am running soalries 9 on sparc machine and would like to upgrade it to solaries 10, I have downloaded and burned the ISO file on the CD. How do I upgrade it now? Is there any guide or anything available? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokkan
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

upgrading packages

Hello, I am using Redhat Linux Enterprise 4 AS. To upgrade NFS, I had to browse the internet and finally I got the latest rpm https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2005-727.html That was a time-consuming procedure. On Solaris, I am used to go to sunfreeware.sun.com and download the latest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

6. Solaris

OS_LDAP upgrading

Hi All, We are going to upgrading Solaris-5.8 to Solaris 5.10, as well as LDAP 5.1 service pack-3 to LDAP 5.1 service pack-4, So I'm requesting to all what is the best way to upgrade Solaris-5.8, LDAP 5.1 service pack-3 to LDAP 5.1 service pack-4 in solaris-5.10, As per my knowledge there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkanuri
1 Replies

7. AIX

Upgrading OS from 5.2 to 5.3

We currently have test and production servers running AIX 5.2, DB2 8.1(Prod), DB2 8.2(Test),Websphere 6.1 on both. We need to upgrade to DB2 to version 9, but to do that we also need to upgrade the operating system to 5.3 and go from 32 bit kernel to 64 bit kernal. Looking for information on any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
3 Replies

8. AIX

Upgrading from aix 5.3 to ?

Hey guys, since AIX 5.3 reaches EOS on april 2012, I really need to update my systems asap. Any experience on upgrading directly to 7.1, with sap/db2/oracle? could do fresh installs and import my sap/db vgs, but this would be a lot of work cheers Funksen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

9. AIX

Upgrading Power5 from 5.3 to...

I have a power5 that I would like to update and bring everything forward. I am wondering about trouble-free upgrades. Is it better to go 5.3 -> 7 or 5.3 ->6 ->7? The power5 box is behind and hopefully can learn from experiences here. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading os to redhat 5.8

Hello All, I am trying to upgrade redhat from 5.6 to 5.8. When i use yum update -yit installs 5.9 I dont want 5.9, instead i would like to upgrade to 5.8 is there anyway to specify a version when you are doing yum update? thanks Continue here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam25ca
0 Replies
IWN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    IWN(4)

NAME
iwn -- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965/1000/5000/5150/5300/6000/6050 IEEE 802.11n driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, include the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device iwn device pci device wlan device firmware You also need to select a firmware for your device. Choose one from: device iwn4965fw device iwn1000fw device iwn5000fw device iwn5150fw device iwn6000fw device iwn6050fw Or you can use device iwnfw to include them all. Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf(5): if_iwn_load="YES" iwn4965fw_load="YES" iwn1000fw_load="YES" iwn5000fw_load="YES" iwn5150fw_load="YES" iwn6000fw_load="YES" iwn6050fw_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The iwn driver provides support for Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965, 1000, 5000 and 6000 series of PCI-Express network adapters. iwn supports station, adhoc, and monitor mode operation. Only one virtual interface may be configured at any time. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). This driver requires the firmware built with the iwnfw module to work. EXAMPLES
Join an existing BSS network (i.e., connect to an access point): ifconfig wlan create wlandev iwn0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 Join a specific BSS network with network name ``my_net'': ifconfig wlan create wlandev iwn0 ssid my_net up Join a specific BSS network with 64-bit WEP encryption: ifconfig wlan create wlandev iwn0 ssid my_net wepmode on wepkey 0x1234567890 weptxkey 1 up Join a specific BSS network with 128-bit WEP encryption: ifconfig wlan create wlandev iwn0 wlanmode adhoc ssid my_net wepmode on wepkey 0x01020304050607080910111213 weptxkey 1 DIAGNOSTICS
iwn%d: device timeout The driver will reset the hardware. This should not happen. iwn%d: firmware error The onboard microcontroller crashed for some reason. The driver will reset the hardware. This should not happen. iwn%d: timeout waiting for firmware initialization to complete The onboard microcontroller failed to initialize in time. This should not happen. iwn%d: could not load firmware image '%s' The driver failed to load the firmware image using the firmware(9) subsystem. Verify the iwnfw(4) firmware module is present. iwn%d: could not load boot firmware An attempt to upload the boot firmware image to the onboard microcontroller failed. This should not happen. iwn%d: could not load microcode An attempt to upload the microcode image to the onboard microcontroller failed. This should not happen. iwn%d: could not load main firmware An attempt to upload the main firmware image to the onboard microcontroller failed. This should not happen. SEE ALSO
iwnfw(4), pci(4), wlan(4), wlan_ccmp(4), wlan_tkip(4), wlan_wep(4), ifconfig(8), wpa_supplicant(8) AUTHORS
The original iwn driver was written by Damien Bergamini <damien.bergamini@free.fr> BSD
July 20, 2010 BSD