Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search for files in multiple directories Post 302094277 by Corona688 on Thursday 26th of October 2006 11:22:10 AM
Old 10-26-2006
If that will work, then so will the ls 2006*/ftp_server* I suggested in the first place. Your solution has the same caveat -- too many directories will exceed the maximum commandline length of your shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search directories for files with zero sizes to delete

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will use ls on a directory and list the files one at a time and their size. If the size is 0 i want it to ask me if I want to delete it (yes or no). If I say yes, I want it to delete but it won't know what the file name is just from running from the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akeenabawa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple search in multiple directories

Hi, I am facing the below problem I have a list of number to be searched(around 1000) files resideing in multiple directories as i dont know where it resides in. for example search string is like (abc)123456 please help. very urgent Thanks a lot Uma (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through Sub Directories and search for set of files

I have the below directory in unix environment /home/bkup/daily: ls -lrt drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 12 18:21 20110112/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 13 17:06 20110113/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 14 16:44 20110114/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannarajesh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from multiple directories

I have multiple files that starts as TRADE_LOG spread across multiple folders in the given structure.. ./dir1/1/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir2/10/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir11/12/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir12/13/TRADE_LOG*.gz when I do ftp uisng mput from the "." dir I am getting the below given error mput... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

word search in multiple directories

need a Command in UNIX which can find out a word from files in multiple directories e.g. /home contains multiple directories /home/d1 /home/d2 . . . . /home/dn under d1,d2...dn contains multiple files. I need to search a specific word in a files under these multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagkoth
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access files from different directories and to perform search action in those files?

Hi, I want to access files from different directories (for example: /home/dir1/file1 , /home/dir2/file2 ...) Like this i have to access these files(file1, file2...). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive search for files and copy to new directories

So I have extremely limited experience with shell scripting and I was hoping someone could point out a few commands I need to use in order to pull this off with a shell script like BASH or whatnot (this is on OS X). I need to search out for filenames with account numbers in the name itself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyawaymike
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES

Hi, Can someone please help me with a Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES. I am searching for the VIP in HTTPD.CONF in multiple httpd instances. I am using find ./ -name "httpd.conf" | xargs grep 10.22.0.141 cut -d: -f3- | cut -d ' ' -f4 | sort | uniq -c ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crosairs
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
glob(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   glob(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
glob - Return names of files that match patterns SYNOPSIS
glob ?switches? pattern ?pattern ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs file name ``globbing'' in a fashion similar to the csh shell. It returns a list of the files whose names match any of the pattern arguments. If the initial arguments to glob start with - then they are treated as switches. The following switches are currently supported: | -directory directory | Search for files which match the given patterns starting in the given directory. This allows searching of directories whose name | contains glob-sensitive characters without the need to quote such characters explicitly. This option may not be used in conjunction | with -path. | -join | The remaining pattern arguments are treated as a single pattern obtained by joining the arguments with directory separators. -nocomplain Allows an empty list to be returned without error; without this switch an error is returned if the result list would be empty. | -path pathPrefix | Search for files with the given pathPrefix where the rest of the name matches the given patterns. This allows searching for files | with names similar to a given file even when the names contain glob-sensitive characters. This option may not be used in conjunc- | tion with -directory. | -types typeList | Only list files or directories which match typeList, where the items in the list have two forms. The first form is like the -type | option of the Unix find command: b (block special file), c (character special file), d (directory), f (plain file), l (symbolic | link), p (named pipe), or s (socket), where multiple types may be specified in the list. Glob will return all files which match at | least one of the types given. | The second form specifies types where all the types given must match. These are r, w, x as file permissions, and readonly, hidden | as special permission cases. On the Macintosh, MacOS types and creators are also supported, where any item which is four characters | long is assumed to be a MacOS type (e.g. TEXT). Items which are of the form {macintosh type XXXX} or {macintosh creator XXXX} will | match types or creators respectively. Unrecognised types, or specifications of multiple MacOS types/creators will signal an error. | The two forms may be mixed, so -types {d f r w} will find all regular files OR directories that have both read AND write permis- | sions. The following are equivalent: | glob -type d * | glob */ | except that the first case doesn't return the trailing ``/'' and is more platform independent. | -- Marks the end of switches. The argument following this one will be treated as a pattern even if it starts with a -. The pattern arguments may contain any of the following special characters: ? Matches any single character. * Matches any sequence of zero or more characters. [chars] Matches any single character in chars. If chars contains a sequence of the form a-b then any character between a and b (inclu- sive) will match. x Matches the character x. {a,b,...} Matches any of the strings a, b, etc. As with csh, a ``.'' at the beginning of a file's name or just after a ``/'' must be matched explicitly or with a {} construct. In addi- tion, all ``/'' characters must be matched explicitly. If the first character in a pattern is ``~'' then it refers to the home directory for the user whose name follows the ``~''. If the ``~'' is followed immediately by ``/'' then the value of the HOME environment variable is used. The glob command differs from csh globbing in two ways. First, it does not sort its result list (use the lsort command if you want the list sorted). Second, glob only returns the names of files that actually exist; in csh no check for existence is made unless a pattern contains a ?, *, or [] construct. PORTABILITY ISSUES
Unlike other Tcl commands that will accept both network and native style names (see the filename manual entry for details on how native and network names are specified), the glob command only accepts native names. Windows For Windows UNC names, the servername and sharename components of the path may not contain ?, *, or [] constructs. On Windows NT, if pattern is of the form ``~username@domain'' it refers to the home directory of the user whose account information resides on the specified NT domain server. Otherwise, user account information is obtained from the local computer. On Windows 95 and 98, glob accepts patterns like ``.../'' and ``..../'' for successively higher up parent directories. Macintosh When using the options, -dir, -join or -path, glob assumes the directory separator for the entire pattern is the standard ``:''. When not using these options, glob examines each pattern argument and uses ``/'' unless the pattern contains a ``:''. SEE ALSO
file(n) KEYWORDS
exist, file, glob, pattern Tcl 8.3 glob(n)