Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Su to user from root
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Su to user from root Post 302093999 by nitin on Tuesday 24th of October 2006 10:26:45 AM
Old 10-24-2006
Su to user from root

I'm writing a script that does many things, but it runs as a root. It does some backups etc, and then it su's over to oracle user to do some oracle stuff, this way I don't have to worry about Oracle env variables etc. Saves time, headache etc.
The thing is that, this script worked perfectly on Solaris, but it not in Linux (Redhat and Suse).
Here is a snippet:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
## doing some maintenance as root user
tar -cvf /usr/home/dir
## Now do some oracle stuff###
SH_LOG=/tmp/script123.log
echo "Enter user name for oracle:"
read $ORA_USER
su - $ORA_USER "sqlplus -S -L / AS SYSDBA <<\EOF >$SH_LOG
SET HEADING OFF;
SELECT GROUP#, BYTES, STATUS FROM V\$LOG;
SPOOL OFF
EXIT;
EOF"
## EOF

This above script works and changes over to oracle user in Solaris, runs my sql commands and gives me a log. When I run it in Linux, it craps out. My guess it that "su -" does not pass the variables in Linux, so it doesn't understand $ORA_USER and $SH_LOG.
I even tried "su - $ORA_USER -c -m" options, they all failed to give me the desired results. Any ideas? Smilie
Thanks in advance.

-Nitin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

4. Solaris

java version mismatch for normal user and root user

:confused: I installed latest version of java ( jre 1.6) on Solaris Machine ......when I run java -version as root, shows the latest version but when I run java -version as normal user, shows the old / previous version What should I do to fix this ...should show the latest version... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root and non-root user not able to delete the file

Hi!! one strange problem occurred with my RHEL 5 box. i'm having logs folder with ownership of non-root user. Created some files with root user under logs folder. here is the scene: -rw-r----- 1 root root 1048227 Feb 28 12:34 SystemOut_13.02.28_12.34.10.log -rw-r----- 1 root root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Switch from Local user to root user from a shell script?

Hi, I need to switch from local user to root user in a shell script. I need to make it automated so that it doesn't prompt for the root password. I heard the su command will do that work but it prompt for the password. and also can someone tell me whether su command spawns a new shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7) 					OCF resource agents					   OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_oracle - Manages an Oracle Database instance SYNOPSIS
oracle [start | stop | status | monitor | validate-all | methods | meta-data] DESCRIPTION
Resource script for oracle. Manages an Oracle Database instance as an HA resource. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
sid The Oracle SID (aka ORACLE_SID). (required, string, no default) home The Oracle home directory (aka ORACLE_HOME). If not specified, then the SID along with its home should be listed in /etc/oratab. (optional, string, no default) user The Oracle owner (aka ORACLE_OWNER). If not specified, then it is set to the owner of file $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/*${ORACLE_SID}.ora. If this does not work for you, just set it explicitely. (optional, string, no default) ipcrm Sometimes IPC objects (shared memory segments and semaphores) belonging to an Oracle instance might be left behind which prevents the instance from starting. It is not easy to figure out which shared segments belong to which instance, in particular when more instances are running as same user. What we use here is the "oradebug" feature and its "ipc" trace utility. It is not optimal to parse the debugging information, but I am not aware of any other way to find out about the IPC information. In case the format or wording of the trace report changes, parsing might fail. There are some precautions, however, to prevent stepping on other peoples toes. There is also a dumpinstipc option which will make us print the IPC objects which belong to the instance. Use it to see if we parse the trace file correctly. Three settings are possible: - none: don't mess with IPC and hope for the best (beware: you'll probably be out of luck, sooner or later) - instance: try to figure out the IPC stuff which belongs to the instance and remove only those (default; should be safe) - orauser: remove all IPC belonging to the user which runs the instance (don't use this if you run more than one instance as same user or if other apps running as this user use IPC) The default setting "instance" should be safe to use, but in that case we cannot guarantee that the instance will start. In case IPC objects were already left around, because, for instance, someone mercilessly killing Oracle processes, there is no way any more to find out which IPC objects should be removed. In that case, human intervention is necessary, and probably _all_ instances running as same user will have to be stopped. The third setting, "orauser", guarantees IPC objects removal, but it does that based only on IPC objects ownership, so you should use that only if every instance runs as separate user. Please report any problems. Suggestions/fixes welcome. (optional, string, default instance) clear_backupmode The clear of the backup mode of ORACLE. (optional, boolean, default false) shutdown_method How to stop Oracle is a matter of taste it seems. The default method ("checkpoint/abort") is: alter system checkpoint; shutdown abort; This should be the fastest safe way bring the instance down. If you find "shutdown abort" distasteful, set this attribute to "immediate" in which case we will shutdown immediate; If you still think that there's even better way to shutdown an Oracle instance we are willing to listen. (optional, string, default checkpoint/abort) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. status Performs a status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. Suggested interval: 120. validate-all Performs a validation of the resource configuration. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. methods Suggested minimum timeout: 5. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a oracle resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive example_oracle ocf:heartbeat:oracle params sid=string op monitor depth="0" timeout="30" interval="120" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/oracle_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents 1.0.3 07/05/2010 OCF_HEARTBEAT_ORACLE(7)