Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read a part of information from txt and put into the script Post 302093794 by ranj@chn on Monday 23rd of October 2006 02:15:00 PM
Old 10-23-2006
Another try

Code:
ipfile=./ipfile  #inputfile where the names are stored
tmpfile=./tmp.txt #tempfiles used
tmpfile1=./tmp_used.txt  #temp file
while read fname  #the outer loop 
do
if [[ -f $tmpfile ]]; then
rm -f $tmpfile
fi
if [[ -f $tmpfile1 ]]; then
rm -f $tmpfile1
fi

ls ${fname}*|while read name  #getting the existing sequence seperately
do
echo ${name##${fname}} >>$tmpfile1
done

sort -n $tmpfile1 >$tmpfile  #Sort the sequences for a particular file pattern
rm -f $tmpfile1

awk -v fnam=$fname 'NR==1{num=$1;num++;} NR!=1{while($1 >  num) {print fnam num, "is missing"; num++; found=1;} num++} END{if(found==0){print fnam, "has nothing missing" } }' $tmpfile 

done <$ipfile
rm -f $tmpfile

You may have to format the filenames a little bit to get the listing you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a part of filename from the list in the script

how can i read a part of filename from the list in the script? all file in directory...will start with "CDBACKUPFILE" then the name is stored in list.txt such as JOHN,MARRY,PETER. After this, is seq number. CDBACKUPFILEJOHN00001 CDBACKUPFILEMARRY00004 CDBACKUPFILEPETER00003 I will use:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read x.txt and grep from y.txt

How would I write a command(s) to read from a file (list) that looks like this: 29847374384 and grep from a second file (list) that looks like this: 29847374384, jkdfkjdf,3833,ddd:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smellylizzard
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract zip code information from address, put into new column

Hi, suppose I have a colon delimeterd file with address field like this blue:john's hospital new haven CT 92881-2322 yellow:La times copr red road los angeles CA90381 1302 red:las vegas hotel sand drive Las vegas NV,21221 How do I create a new field that contain the zip code information... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
3 Replies

4. Programming

extracting information from lines, put them into arrays

hi I need a little help writing this small perl script. I'm trying to extract the values from each line in a file and find the average for example cat school Highschool 100, 123, 135 Middleschool 41, 67, 54 Elementary 76, 315, 384 ./average.pl highschool: 119.3 middleschool: 54... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gengar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read userid and password information from txt file

Hi Experts, I am writing a shell script (for displaying disk space details) which is logging to 15 different servers using following command. ssh userid@servername It is prompting me for password for all 15 servers when I manually run it. However , soon I would like to schedule this script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read strings from a txt and put them into a spreadsheet?

i have hundreds of thousands of txt files as below, RADARSAT 1 SCENE DESCRIPTION SCENE_ID c0005098 MDA ORDER NUMBER GEOGRAPHICAL AREA CIS ScanSar Canada SCENE START TIME APR 02 1997 23:05:10.222 SCENE STOP TIME APR 02 1997 23:02:49.695... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help! Need to put the lines of a txt to one line

Hi all, I'm quite newbie in shell scripting but I found a problem what I cant solve. I have a .txt file which looks like this: /22/ /23/ /24/ and so on and I'd need to make it look like this: /22/|/23/|/24/|...and so on. these numbers are growing and has lines like this /2a/ as well.... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gergo235
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed shell script to read txt file and do some modification

Hi ...programmers... I need a shell script to perform some specific task.. my txt file looks like this netcdf new { dimensions: XAX1_11 = 11 ; variables: double XAX1_11(XAX1_11) ; XAX1_11:point_spacing = "even" ; XAX1_11:axis = "X" ; float DEPTH(XAX1_11) ;... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the shell script to read the .txt file as an input/data?

i have written my shell script in notepad however i am struggling to pass the data file to be read to the script the data file is of .txt format. My target is to run the shell script from the terminal and pass 3 arguments e.g. polg@DESKTOP-BVPDC5C:~/CS1420/coursework$ bash valsplit.sh input.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurdza32
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a loop to read the input from a file part by part?

Hi All, We've a VDI infrastructure in AWS (AWS workspaces) and we're planning to automate the process of provisioning workspaces. Instead of going to GUI console, and launching workspaces by selecting individual users is little time consuming. Thus, I want to create them in bunches from AWS CLI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_adm
6 Replies
TEXTDUMP(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       TEXTDUMP(4)

NAME
textdump -- textdump kernel dumping facility SYNOPSIS
options KDB options DDB DESCRIPTION
The textdump facility allows the capture of kernel debugging information to disk in a human-readable rather than the machine-readable form normally used with kernel memory dumps and minidumps. This representation, while less complete in that it does not capture full kernel state, can provide debugging information in a more compact, portable, and persistent form than a traditional dump. By combining textdump with other ddb(4) facilities, such as scripting and output capture, detailed bug information can be captured in a fully automated manner. FORMAT
textdump data is stored in a dump partition in the same style as a regular memory dump, and will be automatically extracted by savecore(8) if present on boot. textdump files are stored in the tar(5) format, and consist of one or more text files, each storing a particular type of debugging output. The following parts may be present: ddb.txt Captured ddb(4) output, if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_ddb sysctl. config.txt Kernel configuration, if has been compiled into the kernel. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_config sysctl. msgbuf.txt Kernel message buffer, including recent console output if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_msgbuf sysctl. panic.txt Kernel panic string, if the kernel panicked before the dump was generated. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_panic sysctl. version.txt Kernel version string. My be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_version sysctl. Kernel textdumps may be extracted using tar(1). CONFIGURATION
The textdump facility is enabled as part of the kernel debugger using options KDB and options DDB. By default, kernel dumps generated on panic or via explicit requests for a dump will be regular memory dumps; however, by using the textdump set command in ddb(4), or by setting the debug.ddb.textdump.pending sysctl to 1 using sysctl(8), it is possible to request that the next dump be a textdump. If at the ddb(4) command line, the commands textdump set, textdump status, and textdump unset may be used to set, query, and clear the textdump pending flag. As with regular kernel dumps, a dump partition must be automatically or manually configured using dumpon(8). EXAMPLES
In the following example, the script kdb.enter.panic will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a panic, enable output cap- ture, dump several useful pieces of debugging information, and then invoke panic in order to force a kernel dump to be written out followed by a reboot: script kdb.enter.panic=textdump set; capture on; show allpcpu; bt; ps; alltrace; show alllock; call doadump; reset In the following example, the script kdb.enter.witness will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a witness violation, printing lock-related information for the user: script kdb.enter.witness=show locks These scripts may also be configured using the ddb(8) utility. SEE ALSO
tar(1), ddb(4), tar(5), ddb(8), dumpon(8), savecore(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The textdump facility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
The textdump facility was created by Robert N. M. Watson. BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD