Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming putty windows with a shell script Post 302093766 by orno on Monday 23rd of October 2006 10:00:38 AM
Old 10-23-2006
brilliant Smilie

i should have read the Bash basics before starting off :P

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files and Renaming them + shell script

Hi, I have a problem. I have some text files in a folder. The names can be like: emp.txt emp1.txt emp3.txt 32emp4.txt What i need is i have to copy all the files which have "emp" string in their filename to a different folder and those file names... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putty Input thru Windows

Hi anyone knows how to pass values to putty command prompt from MS windows. since i am have a shell script to get input of several lines. i dont want to type it rather than input values from some windows based application is there any way thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JACKDSOUZA
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use putty problems in windows

Hello all, I have encountered a strange question. I installed a Ubuntu 8.10 in the VMware in the XP, and use putty to connect to ubuntu. Everything is fun except I can't use the wget in putty, neither does command "sudo apt-get ***". But they are OK in the VM. Can someone help me out? Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpltp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names in a shell script

I want to write a shell script that will rename all the file names to today's date attached to it.. so for example i have a file names like file1.sales.20081201.txt.c zbrs.salestxtn.20091101.txt.inn then it will rename both the files with todays date to it so the file names get changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Files using Shell Script

Hi Gurus, I have some files(all ending with .out as extension). Ex: aa1.out aa2.out aa3.out I would like to append each file with the current date to the end of the file so that they should become aa1_20090504.out. So I am using rename as follows: for i in path/aa* ; do mv $i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asmfloyd
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files with a shell script

Hey guys, I'm really new to UNIX and shell scripting in general. For my internship I need to rename a bunch of files. Specifically, I need to change the first letter of each of the files to lowercase and I have to change the endings so they all basically look like "file_cone.jpg". I know I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjzieve
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming directories with shell script

Hi All after looking around the website and various other resources I become stuck. I'm trying to rename directories from Firstname Initial Lastname to lastname,_firstname_initial so far ive got for f in {./} do rename -n 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * rename -n 's/\ /_/g' * ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harlequin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exits from putty instead of shell script

Dear, I have written below code to initiate the log at top of my script. #Set the log file LOGFILE=<path>/<filename.log> exec > $LOGFILE 2>&1 ............... .... ... .. ............ echo -e "\n\n Script finished OK " `date "+%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S" ` "\n\n" exit 0 the logging ends only... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imran_Chennai
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

startX windows application during boot.....putty connection takes the windows

Dear all i am new to linux/debian i run my application on the computer...during startup in bashrc i wrk wid dis script to invoke startx..i do this above command and it works perfectly... if && ; then startx -- -br 1>/dev/null exit 0 fi i use winscp for file transfer and putty for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkat_330
1 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Method to run a shell script using shortcut key in keyboard with out logging to putty

Dear All, I want to run a shell script with out logging to putty but configuring it to a keyboard short cut it windows PC. Can this be done? I want this to rename a log in a specified folder in a system Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chi_SL
8 Replies
starting(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       starting(7)

NAME
starting - event signalling that a job is starting SYNOPSIS
starting JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The starting event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when a new instance of a job begins starting. The JOB environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue starting. This allows jobs to effectively insert themselves as dependencies of other jobs. The event is typically combined with the stopped(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the starting event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use: start on starting apache stop on stopped apache A task that must be run before another task or service is started might use: start on starting postgresql SEE ALSO
started(7) stopping(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 starting(7)