Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming finding stack location in C using program Post 302093606 by jacques83 on Friday 20th of October 2006 07:10:09 PM
Old 10-20-2006
finding stack location in C using program

Is there a way to find the address of stack memory writing a program? Please guide me

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

get stack trace from C program on Solaris 8

I'm on solaris 8. I need to check the stack trace inside my C program. I don't have printstack or walkstack. I tested getcontext and it works. But how do I get the symbols from "stack_t" ? Help please. Many thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rydahl
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files in subdirectories from one location

Using ssh, is there a simple command to find files in subdirectories from, let's say, the home directory on a shared server? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: endl
2 Replies

3. Programming

access variable through program stack

I am working on garbage collector in C? How should :confused: I find the part of heap where the variable are stored. It there any compiler (GCC) support for this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit gangarade
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a word at specific location in a string

Hi All , I have different strings (SQL queries infact) of different lengths such as: 1. "SELECT XYZ FROM ABC WHERE ABC.DEF='123' " 2. "DELETE FROM ABC WHERE ABC.DEF='567'" 3. "SELECT * FROM ABC" I need to find out the word coming after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapnil.nawale
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding register set being used in program

How can i find( or list) contents of all registers being used by my program? Is there any system call or library available for this?:confused: At runtime in my c/c++ program. At runtime using may be some assembly hack!!!!!!!!!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit gangarade
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding my location in a string

I'm a relative newbie and apologize if this is silly... Suppose I have a file with English words and their Spanish translations. I read them in like this: while(getline < myfile > 0) { eng = $1 SPAN = $2 } Now, for every eng in SPAN, I want to scan through SPAN and search for a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrLeeDetroit
2 Replies

7. Programming

Finding the path of the C program

Hi All, I have a c program called findPath.c in a path /home/harsh/c-Programs/. How can i find the path where the program is stored at runtime?? I have given the following #include<stdio.h> int main() { system("dirname $0"); return 0; } This is resulting in the output as . <single dot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

program location

Hello all, one of application on system requires that "uname" program is in "/usr/uname" location. I can find uname in "/usr/bin/uname" location. Is it possible to present the /usr/bin/uname as that it was located in /usr/uname location? Thank you in advanced, M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kreno
1 Replies

9. Programming

How to read max stack size -Xss that is set/default for a java program?

I need to know what is the maximum stack size i.e. -Xss my java program is running with. Is there a way to find that out from inside my java program code and outside of it. What i am looking for is to read whatever the current set max limit -Xss (stack sie) is for a particular JVM(not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Knowing the size and location of variables in a C program

So I need some help with this. Pardon me if I'm posting in the wrong forum, after some googling for my answer and finding nothing I found this forum. It seemed appropriate for what I was seeking. I just didnt find a forum that concerned the use of GDB. I'm learning to use the C language and GDB.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cambria
2 Replies
STACK(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  STACK(9)

NAME
STACK -- stack macros SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> type STACK_ALLOC(sp, size); type STACK_MAX(sp, size); type STACK_ALIGN(sp, bytes); type STACK_GROW(sp, size); type STACK_SHRINK(sp, size); DESCRIPTION
A stack is an area of memory with a fixed origin but with a variable size. A stack pointer points to the most recently referenced location on the stack. Initially, when the stack has a size of zero, the stack pointer points to the origin of the stack. When data items are added to the stack, the stack pointer moves away from the origin. The STACK_ALLOC() macro returns a pointer to allocated stack space of some size. Given the returned pointer sp and size, STACK_MAX() returns the maximum stack address of the allocated stack space. The STACK_ALIGN() macro can be used to align the stack pointer sp by the specified amount of bytes. Two basic operations are common to all stacks: a data item is added (``push'') to the location pointed by sp or a data item is removed (``pop'') from the stack. The stack pointer must be subsequently adjusted by the size of the data item. The STACK_GROW() and STACK_SHRINK() macros adjust the stack pointer sp by given size. A stack may grow either up or down. The described macros take this into account by using the __MACHINE_STACK_GROWS_UP preprocessor define. SEE ALSO
param(3), queue(3) BSD
April 8, 2011 BSD