Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Archive (tar)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Archive (tar) Post 302093516 by grial on Friday 20th of October 2006 02:58:48 AM
Old 10-20-2006
Have you tried the "X" tar option? Read your tar man page for more info...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive: time, date?

Is there a way to know when (date, time) a tar archive on tape was created? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: croy75
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q: tar archive help

hey how do you create a archive and add file to an existing archive. i keep getting an error: dir/#: No such file or directory currently using tar -cvfu name.tar files files searching from a word document each line having different file extention. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nookie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

choose what to extract from tar archive

Hello! I want to extract a choosen directory (and its contents) from a tar archive and i have tried what i believe is every option i could find in the manual. I think i have done it once before, but i don't remeber how. Could anyone please tell me how to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar archive issue

Hi, I make a tar archive: tar -czvf /path_to/cucu.tar.gz /path/dir_to_archive/ In the archive the /path/dir_to_archive/ is maintained for every file. I need that the archive to be made without the /path/dir_to_archive/ to contain only the files in /path/dir_to_archive/. Thanks,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
4 Replies

6. Programming

read file from tar.gz archive

I want to write a c-program which reads a textfile from a tar.gz archive. How can I do it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krylin
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive::Tar problem

Hello, I have a problem using Archive::Tar. it seem very trivial but i cannot get it work. First I have a list of files I grab from a directory. Then I create a tar archive and write the files into the archive. everything works great, except that I cannot properly extract the files. What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
0 Replies

8. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

9. Solaris

USTAR tar archive

Hello Admins, I am facing an issue with ustar tar archive on solaris 10. By mistake I have created ustar tar archive of /var/adm/messages file on solaris10. I am trying to untar the /var/adm/messages file . but I am not getting the original text messages file. I user tar -xvf ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with number of files in a tar archive

I cant seem to work out how to count the number of executable files in a particular tar archive? Only in a directory as a whole. I also cant work out how to count number of certain file types in a tar archive. Only the directory, pretty stuck :( (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Razor147
9 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -L causes the created home directory to be localized. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X May 31, 2019 Mac OS X