Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris what time did my process die ?? Post 302093505 by Just Ice on Friday 20th of October 2006 12:18:41 AM
Old 10-20-2006
the only way that i know of to know when a process disappears is to actually check for the process periodically ...

write a script that loops every minute (or second or hour) and looks for the backup process through a ps check ... if found, sleep and recheck again later ... if not found, send an email or log the error somewhere ...

good luck!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Live Free or Die!

Mods: Delete this if you think that this is not appropriate. I found this rather amusing. If you go to www.unix.net now you will see the OpenGroup selling license plates that read "Live Free or Die/Unix/Unix is a trademark of the OpenGroup" (http://www.unix.net/unix_plates.html) I just... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: auswipe
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Python 2.5 must die.

I am using SunOS 5.7 I have installed Python 2.5 via make install Without going into details, I'd like to uninstall it and replace it with an earlier version. Maybe as far back as 2.2.3. Unfortuantely, make uninstall gives me Don't know how to make target 'uninstall'. This is thematically... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dbecker
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Decrease priority of a particular process in time of process creation

how to decrease priority of a particular process in time of process creation... and also how to decrease priority of a particular process after process creation.. can any one please help me out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramkum
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process accounting and Shell process time

Hi All, I am running the following accounting on one of my executable, $ accton /home/myexe-acct $ ./myexe $ accton When I check the process timings I get the below result, Shell process time: 300ms myexe time: 100ms I want to know on why the shell(sh) process is taking so much time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santoshbr4
1 Replies

5. Linux

Process start time not showing correct time

Process start time is not showing the correct time: I had started a process on Jun 17th at 23:30:00. Next day morning when I run the command "ps -ef | grep mq", the process is showing the start date of Jun 17th but the start time is 00:16:41 Day/Date is setup correctly on the server. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Connection die out

Hi, I will ftp aroung 80 files after connecting to an FTP Server. But after 2 minutes of connection, it is timed out and connection is dying. Server had a 2 minute connection timeout if connection is idle. But my question, Isn't tranfering files not considered as an activity. Is the connection... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
7 Replies

8. AIX

oracle process appears to die

periodically my oracle 11.2.0.1 listener process 'tnslsnr' seems to crash and disappear ( I am using an AIX 6.1 unix platform ). When this happens I am able to restart my listener ok. However when this happens there is is no stop recorded in my listener log (as there normally would be - hence why I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds (with a '.' character as a decimal point). This is a non- portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD