Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where are the password saved in a UNIX server? Post 302093483 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Thursday 19th of October 2006 04:09:52 PM
Old 10-19-2006
Where is the hash?
You're looking at it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hash

Basically, it's the output of an obfuscation mechanism. The string of characters after "root:" is not the actual password. The actual password is represented by a fixed string of characters that only means something useful to the security/authentication mechanisms built into the system.

The password has been hashed (see link above).

So it is not trivial to get the root password if it is forgotten (or someone wants to try to steal the password from the files you've been looking at). Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I inhereted a Unix server that is password protected...Help!

I inhereted a project server that has UNIX installed with a SCO OS. I am trying to learn UNIX but I cannot go beyond the password and login. The original engineers have left the company and nothing was ever written down. How can access our server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fxsaint
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tranfer an OS/ Unix (from old HD to new HD / include all files saved )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How can I tranfer an OS/ Unix (from old HD to new HD / include all files saved ) Could anyone help me out. :confused: Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vietnam
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to connect unix server to unix server through shell scripts

Hi, I would like to connect UNIX server to UNIX server through shell scripts and i have some concepts . But i am totally confused how to connect UNIX server to UNIX server throuth running a script. It will be greatful to me if any buddy will help me. Thanks in advance. Phatan:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phatan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to update my account password on 100 unix server ?

Hi We have over 100 unix servers. They include linux,solaris,aix,hp and sgi. I use telnet for some and ssh for rest. Note: none of this server has expect which i can use to update.So i am looking for expert who can help me with their script or guide me write KSH script to automate this. Thank... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaurtum
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to multiple unix server from unix server using shell script

Hi Gurus, I'm a unix newbie and I would like to connect to multiple unix servers from unix server using shell script i.e from server a to server b,c,d etc. I want to copy the files from unix server a to server b, c, d. I can access staright using ssh without the need to have password and user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Script to get files from remote server to local server through sftp without prompting for password

Hi, I am trying to automate the process of fetching files from remote server to local server through sftp. I have the username and password for the remote solaris server. But I need to give password manually everytime i run the script. Can anyone help me in automating the script such that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to one server from other server without asking password

Hi , I am using redhat linux 5.I.I need a command or script which need to login from one server to another without asking password.This can be done even providing password on the command line is also fine.I have tries sshpass but it didn't work.ssh key generations is not preferred here. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies

10. AIX

How to ssh from an AIX OS server to a Fabric OS server without password?

Hi I'd like to ssh from an AIX OS server ( v5.3) to a Fabric OS server ( v6.1.2 ) without password. I tried using dsa or rsa keys but it didn't work, the aix server still asked for the password. Somebody help, please :(:(:( (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies
DOVEADM-PW(1)							      Dovecot							     DOVEADM-PW(1)

NAME
doveadm-pw - Dovecot's password hash generator SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] pw -l doveadm [-Dv] pw [-p password] [-r rounds] [-s scheme] [-u user] [-V] doveadm [-Dv] pw -t hash [-p password] [-u user] DESCRIPTION
doveadm pw is used to generate password hashes for different password schemes and optionally verify the generated hash. All generated password hashes have a {scheme} prefix, for example {SHA512-CRYPT.HEX}. All passdbs have a default scheme for passwords stored without the {scheme} prefix. The default scheme can be overridden by storing the password with the scheme prefix. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. Command specific options: -l List all supported password schemes and exit successfully. There are up to three optional password schemes: BLF-CRYPT (Blowfish crypt), SHA256-CRYPT and SHA512-CRYPT. Their availability depends on the system's currently used libc. -p password The plain text password for which the hash should be generated. If no password was given doveadm(1) will prompt interactively for one. -r rounds The password schemes BLF-CRYPT, SHA256-CRYPT and SHA512-CRYPT supports a variable number of encryption rounds. The following table shows the minimum/maximum number of encryption rounds per scheme. When the -r option was omitted the default number of encryption rounds will be applied. Scheme | Minimum | Maximum | Default ---------------------------------------------- BLF-CRYPT | 4 | 31 | 5 SHA256-CRYPT | 1000 | 999999999 | 5000 SHA512-CRYPT | 1000 | 999999999 | 5000 -s scheme The password scheme which should be used to generate the hashed password. By default the CRAM-MD5 scheme will be used. It is also possible to append an encoding suffix to the scheme. Supported encoding suffixes are: .b64, .base64 and .hex. See also http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/PasswordSchemes for more details about password schemes. -t hash Test if the given password hash matches a given plain text password. The plain text password may be passed using the -p option. When no password was specified, doveadm(1) will prompt interactively for one. -u user When the DIGEST-MD5 scheme is used, also the user name must be given, because the user name is a part of the generated hash. For more information about Digest-MD5 please read also: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms/DigestMD5 -V When this option is given, the hashed password will be internally verified. The result of the verification will be shown after the hashed password, enclosed in parenthesis. EXAMPLE
The first password hash is a DIGEST-MD5 hash for jane.roe@example.com. The second password hash is a CRAM-MD5 hash for john.doe@exam- ple.com. doveadm pw -s digest-md5 -u jane.roe@example.com Enter new password: Retype new password: {DIGEST-MD5}9b9dcb4466233a9307bbc33708dffda0 doveadm pw Enter new password: Retype new password: {CRAM-MD5}913331d8782236a8ecba7764a63aa27b26437fd40ca878d887f11d81245c2c6b REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.2 2013-08-17 DOVEADM-PW(1)