Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Archive (tar)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Archive (tar) Post 302093354 by grial on Thursday 19th of October 2006 03:06:00 AM
Old 10-19-2006
Helo.
Depending on your tar version, there's an option which allows you that. For instance, Solaris 9 tar man page says:
Code:
 X     Exclude. Use the exclude-file argument as a file  con-
           taining  a  list  of relative path names for files (or
           directories) to be  excluded  from  the  tarfile  when
           using the functions c, x, or t. Be careful of trailing
           white spaces. Also beware  of  leading  white  spaces,
           since,  for each line in the excluded file, the entire
           line (apart from the newline) will be  used  to  match
           against the initial string of files to exclude. Multi-
           ple X arguments may be used, with one exclude-file per
           argument.  In  the  case  where included files (see -I
           include-file option) are also specified, the  excluded
           files  take  precedence  over all included files. If a
           file is specified in both  the  exclude-file  and  the
           include-file  (or  on  the  command  line), it will be
           excluded.

Anyway, you could do something like:
Code:
touch /tmp/bck.tar && find /home/oracle/ddd[12] ! -name "*log" ! -name "*dmp" -type f -exec tar uvf /tmp/bck.tar {} \;

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive: time, date?

Is there a way to know when (date, time) a tar archive on tape was created? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: croy75
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q: tar archive help

hey how do you create a archive and add file to an existing archive. i keep getting an error: dir/#: No such file or directory currently using tar -cvfu name.tar files files searching from a word document each line having different file extention. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nookie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

choose what to extract from tar archive

Hello! I want to extract a choosen directory (and its contents) from a tar archive and i have tried what i believe is every option i could find in the manual. I think i have done it once before, but i don't remeber how. Could anyone please tell me how to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar archive issue

Hi, I make a tar archive: tar -czvf /path_to/cucu.tar.gz /path/dir_to_archive/ In the archive the /path/dir_to_archive/ is maintained for every file. I need that the archive to be made without the /path/dir_to_archive/ to contain only the files in /path/dir_to_archive/. Thanks,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
4 Replies

6. Programming

read file from tar.gz archive

I want to write a c-program which reads a textfile from a tar.gz archive. How can I do it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krylin
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive::Tar problem

Hello, I have a problem using Archive::Tar. it seem very trivial but i cannot get it work. First I have a list of files I grab from a directory. Then I create a tar archive and write the files into the archive. everything works great, except that I cannot properly extract the files. What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
0 Replies

8. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

9. Solaris

USTAR tar archive

Hello Admins, I am facing an issue with ustar tar archive on solaris 10. By mistake I have created ustar tar archive of /var/adm/messages file on solaris10. I am trying to untar the /var/adm/messages file . but I am not getting the original text messages file. I user tar -xvf ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with number of files in a tar archive

I cant seem to work out how to count the number of executable files in a particular tar archive? Only in a directory as a whole. I also cant work out how to count number of certain file types in a tar archive. Only the directory, pretty stuck :( (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Razor147
9 Replies
MAKE-JPKG(1)						      General Commands Manual						      MAKE-JPKG(1)

NAME
make-jpkg - builds Debian packages from Java binary distributions SYNOPSIS
make-jpkg [OPTION]... [FILE] DESCRIPTION
make-jpkg builds a Debian package from the given Java distribution FILE. Supported java binary distributions currently include: * Oracle (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads) : - The J2SE Development Kit (JDK), version 6 (update >= 10), 7 - The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE), version 6 (update >= 10), 7 - The J2SE API Javadoc, version 6 (update >= 10), 7 (Choose tar.gz archives or self-extracting archives, do _not_ choose the RPM!) The following options are recognized: --full-name NAME full name used in the maintainer field of the package --email EMAIL email address used in the maintainer field of the package --changes create a .changes file --revision add debian revision --help display help text and exit --version output version information and exit Download a supported Java RE or SDK or API tar.gz or self-extracting archive from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads and execute make-jpkg file with the downloaded file. The program asks the user for additional information and builds a Debian binary pack- age in the current directory. The program requires about 200 MB free disk space in a temporary directory. The temporary directory defaults to /tmp but you can specify an alternate directory by setting the environment variable TMPDIR. EXAMPLE
To install Oracle(TM) 7 Standard Edition JDK, download a release - 64 bits version of update 2 from http://www.oracle.com/technet- work/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u2-download-1377129.html in this example - and invoke make-jpkg: make-jpkg <path_to_download_directory>/jdk-7u2-linux-x64.tar.gz This generate a Debian package in the current directory, that can be installed using dpkg: dpkg -i oracle-j2sdk1.7_1.7.0+update2_amd64.deb When you're done, you can delete initial download as well as generated package: rm <path_to_download_directory>/jdk-7u2-linux-x64.tar.gz oracle-j2sdk1.7_1.7.0+update2_amd64.deb ENVIRONMENT
TMPDIR base directory used for temporary files (defaults to /tmp) J2SE_PACKAGE_FULL_NAME full name used in the maintainer field of the package; if none is supplied then the default of "Debian Java Maintainers" is used. J2SE_PACKAGE_EMAIL email address used in the maintainer field of the package; if none is supplied the default of "pkg-java-maintain- ers@lists.alioth.debian.org" is used. SEE ALSO
update-java-alternatives(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Hubert Schmid <j2se-package@z42.de>. It is now maintained by the Debian Java Maintainers <pkg-java-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>. January 22, 2012 MAKE-JPKG(1)