Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to get system() function executed cmd return value ? Post 302093251 by blowtorch on Wednesday 18th of October 2006 07:36:13 AM
Old 10-18-2006
The return value of the command is in the upper 8 bits of the return value. So you bitwise shift the return value by 8.
Code:
#include<stdio.h>

int main() {
        int ret;
        ret=system("mv x.dat y.dat");
        fprintf(stdout,"system ret:[%d]\n",ret>>8);
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl "system" cmd return values..

perl 5.6.1: when i try a "system" command(with if loops for $?), i get this: child exited with value 1 what is meant by this $? values and what does it meant if it returns 1?.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
0 Replies

2. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find pid of PS which executed by perl system function

hello All, I need to invoke by perl script some program/command and monitor it for 5 minutes . In case it still running for more then 5 min I need to send a signal which will stop it. I implemeted this as shown below by using eval & alarm and I'd like to know if there is a better way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find status of last executed cmd in perl?

In shell we can find the status of last executed command by $? In perl what is the command to find the status of last executed command... Can any one please say??????????????? Thanks, Prabhu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prsampath
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a value from called function to the calling function

I have two scripts. script1.sh looks -------------------------------- #!/bin/bash display() { echo "Welcome to Unix" } display ----------------------------- Script2.sh #!/bin/bash sh script1.sh //simply calling script1.sh ------------------------------ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the return code of subroutines executed as standalone as command line in Perl ?

How to do I get the return code of a subroutine in a perl module if invoke the subroutine as standalone, I have an module say TestExit.pm and in that i have a subroutine say myTest() which is returns 12, if i were to call the subroutine from command line like CASE:1 ( Without an explict... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input the return value (1 or 0) ping cmd to a variable

Hi I would like to ask about my plan script I have this several workstation want to monitor and execute a command without logging it we use "rsh $host "<command>" i create csh script using foreach to loop my several workstation, my problem with the rsh command is if it encounter a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

8. Programming

How to step in one function after the function be executed in gdb?

In gdb, I can call one function with command "call", but how can I step in the function? I don't want to restart the program, but the function had been executed, gdb will execute next statement, and I don't know how to recall the function. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
PAPI_remove_event(3)						       PAPI						      PAPI_remove_event(3)

NAME
PAPI_remove_event - removes a hardware event from a PAPI event set. SYNOPSIS
Detailed Description A hardware event can be either a PAPI Preset or a native hardware event code. For a list of PAPI preset events, see PAPI_presets or run the papi_avail utility in the PAPI distribution. PAPI Presets can be passed to PAPI_query_event to see if they exist on the underlying architecture. For a list of native events available on the current platform, run papi_native_avail in the PAPI distribution. @par C Interface: int PAPI_remove_event( int EventSet, int EventCode ); @param[in] EventSet -- an integer handle for a PAPI event set as created by PAPI_create_eventset @param[in] EventCode -- a defined event such as PAPI_TOT_INS or a native event. @retval PAPI_OK Everything worked. @retval PAPI_EINVAL One or more of the arguments is invalid. @retval PAPI_ENOEVST The EventSet specified does not exist. @retval PAPI_EISRUN The EventSet is currently counting events. @retval PAPI_ECNFLCT The underlying counter hardware can not count this event and other events in the EventSet simultaneously. @retval PAPI_ENOEVNT The PAPI preset is not available on the underlying hardware. @par Example: * int EventSet = PAPI_NULL; * int ret; * * // Create an empty EventSet * ret = PAPI_create_eventset(&EventSet); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) handle_error(ret); * * // Add Total Instructions Executed to our EventSet * ret = PAPI_add_event(EventSet, PAPI_TOT_INS); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) handle_error(ret); * * // Start counting * ret = PAPI_start(EventSet); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) handle_error(ret); * * // Stop counting, ignore values * ret = PAPI_stop(EventSet, NULL); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) handle_error(ret); * * // Remove event * ret = PAPI_remove_event(EventSet, PAPI_TOT_INS); * if (ret != PAPI_OK) handle_error(ret); * See Also: PAPI_cleanup_eventset PAPI_destroy_eventset PAPI_event_name_to_code PAPI_presets PAPI_add_event PAPI_add_events Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for PAPI from the source code. Version 5.2.0.0 Tue Jun 17 2014 PAPI_remove_event(3)