Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Select a portion of file based on query Post 302092926 by anbu23 on Friday 13th of October 2006 01:06:31 PM
Old 10-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanand420
Hi friends Smilie
I am having a small problem and ur help is needed...
I have a long file from which i want to select only some portions after filtering (grep).
My file looks like :

header
xxyy
lmno
xxyy
wxyz
footer

header
abcd
xy
pqrs
footer

I want to select the block of lines between header and footer based on search given suppose I give 'xy' then the complete block from header to footer where xy exist should be selected..
I was using command : awk '/header/,/footer/' But confused where to insert the search criteria in this command
Please help me
Thanks in advance...
Code:
awk ' BEGIN { RS = "" ; FS = "\n" }
{ flag=0;
for( i = 1 ; i <= NF; ++i )
{
if(match ( $i , "^xy$" ))
        {  flag=1;break;  }
}
if( flag == 1 ) print
} ' file

Last edited by anbu23; 10-13-2006 at 03:04 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk program to select a portion of a line

Hi all, I am new to awk programs.I have a file like this vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd vjfavhjlaf<LTEXT>aabcdfffvvbbxbcddjbv</LTEXT>fAFdfdADfd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

select a portion of a file into a CSV

How will i convert a file <LDATE>10-12-07</LDATE><LTIME>13:47:48.553</LTIME><LTEXT>name:anju;city:blore;ph:123</LTEXT> <LDATE>10-12-07</LDATE><LTIME>13:47:48.553</LTIME><LTEXT>name:anju;city:blore;ph:123</LTEXT>... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading from a file and passing the value to a select query

Hi all, Here is my problem. I want to read data from a file and pass the variable to a select query. I tried but it doesn't seem to work. Please advise. Example below. FileName='filekey.txt' while read LINE do var=$LINE print "For File key $var" ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting sql select query result to txt file

Hi , I just found you while surfing for the string 'Redirecting sql select query output from within a shell script to txt file/excel file' Could you find time sending me the code for the above question? It'll be great help for me. I have a perl file that calls the sql file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolphin123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting sql select query result to txt file

Hi Yogesh, Lucky that i caught you online. Yeah i read about DBI and the WriteExcel module. But the server is not supporting these modules. It said..."Cannot locate DBI"..."Cannot locate Spreadsheet::WriteExcel" I tried creating a simple text file to get the query output, but the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolphin123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to get a portion of entries in file based on a criteria --- Help please

All, Below is the file, what i need to do is take the text in between the /*-- and --*/ , i mean the jobs. Then i have grep for system name . If the job is there in system 1 i have to print to a file. Basically i want to take all the jobs that are in system1 to another file . because... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting oracle sqlplus select query into file

So, I would like to run differen select queries on multiple databases.. I made a script wich I thought to be called something like.. ./script.sh sql_file_name out.log or to enter select statement in a command line.. (aix) and I did created some shell script wich is not working.. it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bongo
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename portion of file based on another file

Hello, I've been searching and reading, but I can't figure out how to solve this problem with my newbie skills. In my directory, I have a list of files (see dirlist.txt attachment) that I need to merge and rename. I have part of the code of the code figured out (see below). However, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjulka
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines from a file based on a criteria

Hi I need to select lines from a txt file, I have got a line starting with ZMIO:MSISDN= and after a few line I have another line starting with 'MOBILE STATION ISDN NUMBER' and another one starting with 'VLR-ADDRESS' I need to copy these three lines as three different columns in a separate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlcm sam
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select last update data based on file name

Hi All, I need to remove all files except the most update data based on date on filename Input data_AIDS_20150312.txt data_AIDS_20150311.txt data_AIDS_20150411.txt data_AIDS_20140312.txt the most updated data is data_AIDS_20150411.txt, so I'll remove other files. My expected output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
3 Replies
htsearch(1)						      General Commands Manual						       htsearch(1)

NAME
htsearch - create document index and word database for the ht://Dig search engine SYNOPSIS
htsearch [options] [query_string] DESCRIPTION
Htsearch is used to search in de databases created by htdig for content. is the actual search engine of the htdig search system. It is a CGI program that is expected to be invoked by an HTML form. It will accept both the GET and POST methods of passing data to the CGI pro- gram. OPTIONS
query_string A CGI-style query string can be given as a single argument, and is only used if the REQUEST_METHOD environment variable is not set. If no query_string is given, and REQUEST_METHOD is not set, htsearch will prompt for the query. -c configfile Use the specified configfile instead of the default (for security reasons this option is only available when htsearch is used on the commandline). -v -d Run in verbose mode. This increases the verbosity of the program. Using more than 2 is probably only useful for debugging pur- poses. The default verbose mode gives a progress on what it is doing and where it is. FILES
/etc/htdig/htdig.conf The default configuration file. /srv/www/htdig/common/header.html The default search results header file /srv/www/htdig/common/footer.html The default search results footer file /srv/www/htdig/common/wrapper.html The default search results wrapper file, that contains the header and footer together in one file /srv/www/htdig/common/nomatch.html The default 'no matches found' HTML file /srv/www/htdig/common/syntax.html The default file that explains boolean expression syntax errors SEE ALSO
Please refer to the HTML pages (in the htdig-doc package) /usr/share/doc/htdig-doc/html/index.html and the manual pages htdig(1) and htmerge(1) for a detailed description of ht://Dig and its commands. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Stijn de Bekker, based on the HTML documentation of ht://Dig. 6 October 2001 htsearch(1)