Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting assign value to variable is not working Post 302092870 by Corona688 on Thursday 12th of October 2006 07:20:09 PM
Old 10-12-2006
Whenever you pipe things into a loop, that loop becomes its own process, with it's own seperate process space -- which inherits variables you already have, but things it sets don't propogate back.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assign to variable

why i can't use this command: echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read remainArg or echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read $remainArg so that the result will be assign to remainArg. Anyway to do this? :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a value to variable

I have to assign a result of a query to a vairable like this how can i do this Query = select count(*) from table x=`db2 ${Query}| sed -n '4p'` but this doesn't work, is there any other way to assign the result without redirecting the result to temp file. . Thanks Mark. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markjason
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a value to a variable

I have a list of names in a file. i want to assign those names to a variable in such a manner eg: $cat file.txt pete lisa john var=pete-lisa-john how do i do this in shell scripting? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to assign a value to variable

Hi Experts, I am facing some problem while developing the script.My input config.csv file contains the three columns namely pathname,filename,filetype.Based on the file type i have to use ftp command that is if filetype=csv then do ftp. The input file is cat config.csv... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell assign variable to another variable

How can I assign a variable to an variable. IE $car=honda One way I can do it is export $car=honda or let $car=2323 Is there any other ways to preform this task (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign var with set=a[5] not working

Hi Experts, I'm having issue in assigning var with special character , please see below for complete details. $ echo $SHELL /bin/csh $ cat bp abd/asd/a $ awk -F "/" '{print $NF}' bp | awk '{print $1}' a $ set a=`awk -F "/" '{print $NF}' bp | awk '{print $1}'` $ echo $a ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice_man
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using read to assign value to bash variable not working

Hi, I am attempting to assign the output of the following command, to two bash variables, var1 and var2 using "read," but it doesn't seem to be working. # openstack hypervisor stats show | awk -F'|' 'NR==14{print $2,$3}' vcpus 92 # echo $? 0 # openstack hypervisor... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
4 Replies
KDIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							 KDIFF3(1)

NAME
KDiff3 -- compares two or three input files or directories SYNOPSIS
KDiff3 [QT options] [KDE options] [KDiff3 options] [File1/base] [File2] [File3] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the KDiff3 tool. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. For comprehensive help, please see khelpcenter help:/kdiff3. KDiff3 is a program that o compares or merges two or three text input files or directories o shows the differences line by line and character by character o provides an automatic merge-facility and o an integrated editor for comfortable solving of merge-conflicts o supports Unicode, UTF-8 and other codecs o supports KIO on KDE (allows accessing ftp, sftp, fish, smb etc.) o Printing of differences o Manual alignment of lines o Automatic merging of version control history ($Log$) OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a full summary of options, run KDiff3 --help. -m, --merge Merge the input. -b, --base file Explicit base file. For compatibility with certain tools. -o, --output file Output file. Implies -m. E.g.: -o newfile.txt --out file Output file, again. (For compatibility with certain tools.) --auto No GUI if all conflicts are auto-solvable. (Needs -o file) --qall Don't solve conflicts automatically. (For compatibility...) -L1 alias Visible name replacement for first file/base file. -L2 alias Visible name replacement for second file. -L3 alias Visible name replacement for third file. -L, --fname alias Visible name replacement. May by supplied for each input. --cs string Change a setting, e. g. --cs "AutoAdvance=1". --confighelp Show a list of all settings and their values. --config file Use a different settings file. --author Show author of program. -v, --version Show version of program. --license Show license of program. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Eike Sauer <eike@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 (or, at your option, any later version published by the Free Software Foundation). On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. KDIFF3(1)