Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems with grep and XML
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems with grep and XML Post 302092855 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 12th of October 2006 03:44:40 PM
Old 10-12-2006
I don't know about Spy's output. First thing: can you vi those files and read them?
If you are not getting text behavior in vi, then spy may be doing something interesting.

Or try:
diff spy.xml dm.xml

Where these two (spy.xml and dm.xml) should be identical. They probably are not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with grep on solaris 5.8

Hi all, I have a problem when i grep for a particular field among all fhe files in the directory. if i do an ls -l field * i can find it. however at the moment the number of files in the directory are close to 28000 and it returns an ksh: /usr/bin/grep: arg list too long Assuming i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manualvin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep xml tags

Hi I want to get the value between to XML tags as follows <EAN>12345</EAN> so i would want to return 12345. i have tried sed and awk but can't do it. can anyone help? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep XML tags

I want to search the below XML pattern in the XML files, but the XML files would be in a .GZ files, <PRODID>LCTO84876</PRODID> <PARTNUMBER>8872AC1</PARTNUMBER> <WWPRODID>MODEL84876</WWPRODID> <COUNTRY>US</COUNTRY> <LANGUAGE>1</LANGUAGE> What's the command/script to search it ? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravvij
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems in Usage of grep

Hi all, I have a file resp_cde.ats which has values as:- APPDIR=C:\Program Files\Cogny\cert PUBSDIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\documentation TOURDIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\tour DATADIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\data Now I use the grep command in a shell script:- x=`grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikasrout
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/Parse a .xml file

I have a .xml file similar to the following: <Column> <Name>FIELD1</Name> <Title>CO.</Title> </Column> <Column> <Name>FIELD2</Name> <EditField>TextBox</EditField> <ColumnSpan0>4</ColumnSpan0> <Title>NORMAL</Title> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP for a tag in XML File

I have 2 XML Data files with a tag named PARTICIPATION_TYPE and i am trying to grep for that and getting unique values. However one of the xml data file data is not aligned properly like below. File 1: (works fine when i do grep) grep "PARTICIPATION_TYPE" file1.xml | sort -u Data: ....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep content in xml file

I have an xml file with header as below. <Provider xmlns="http://www.xyzx.gov/xyz" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.xyzx.gov/xyz xyz.xsd" SCHEMA_VERSION="2.5" PROVIDER="5"> I want to get the schema version here that is 2.5 and put in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep some values from XML file

Dear community, I have a big XML log file containing several rows splitted by tag: <ActivityLogRecord> and </ActivityLogRecord>. An example below. What I need is read the file and extract some value from each tags and put them into one line (each line for every <ActivityLogRecord> tag). So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep for a word in xml?

Hi, I have the below tag/s in my xml. <foreign-server name="MOHTASHIM_SERVER"> What will be the easist way to extract MOHTASHIM_SERVER without the double quotes "" from the above tag? Desired Output: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to fetch the value from a xml using sed, GREP?

I have a simple xml file,need the output with the <value> tag and <result> tag text.xml <test-method status="FAIL" duration="45"> <value> Id=C18 </value> <result> wrong paramter </result> </test-method> <test-method status="FAIL" duration="45"> <value> Id=C19 </value> <result> Data... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevAakash
5 Replies
ITSTOOL(1)						      General Commands Manual							ITSTOOL(1)

NAME
itstool - convert between XML and PO using ITS SYNOPSIS
itstool [OPTIONS] [XMLFILES] itstool -m <MOFILE> [OPTIONS] [XMLFILES] DESCRIPTION
itstool extracts messages from XML files and outputs PO template files, then merges translations from MO files to create translated XML files. It determines what to translate and how to chunk it into messages using the W3C Internationalization Tag Set (ITS). To extract messages from XML files FILES and output them to OUT.pot: itstool -o OUT.pot FILES After merging with existing translations or translating strings, generate an MO file with msgfmt(1), then output translated files to the directory DIR: itstool -m OUT.mo -o DIR FILES ITS definitions are loaded from the built-in rules, rules embedded in the source XML files, files passed with the -i option, and ITS attributes in the source XML files. Later definitions take precedence. OPTIONS
Extracting -o FILE --out=FILE output PO template to the file OUT Merging -m FILE --merge=FILE merge from an MO file FILE and output XML files -l LANG --lang=LANG explicitly set the language code output to XML -o FILE --out=FILE output XML files in the directory OUT Common -i ITS --its=ITS load the ITS rules in the file ITS (can specify multiple times) AUTHOR
Shaun McCance <shaunm@gnome.org> SEE ALSO
More documentation for itstool is maintained online. For more information, see: http://itstool.org/documentation/ itstool 1.2.0 May 2011 ITSTOOL(1)