Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems with grep and XML
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems with grep and XML Post 302092837 by pauljohn on Thursday 12th of October 2006 11:12:41 AM
Old 10-12-2006
Problems with grep and XML

I'm trying to use grep on XML files. The same grep expressions work on plaint text files but not on XML files (which of course are plain text files). Actually, these expressions work on XML files saved in DreamWeaver, but not when the same files are saved in XML Spy.

I want grep to treat these files as plain text which is what I assumed it would do.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Paul Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with grep on solaris 5.8

Hi all, I have a problem when i grep for a particular field among all fhe files in the directory. if i do an ls -l field * i can find it. however at the moment the number of files in the directory are close to 28000 and it returns an ksh: /usr/bin/grep: arg list too long Assuming i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manualvin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep xml tags

Hi I want to get the value between to XML tags as follows <EAN>12345</EAN> so i would want to return 12345. i have tried sed and awk but can't do it. can anyone help? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep XML tags

I want to search the below XML pattern in the XML files, but the XML files would be in a .GZ files, <PRODID>LCTO84876</PRODID> <PARTNUMBER>8872AC1</PARTNUMBER> <WWPRODID>MODEL84876</WWPRODID> <COUNTRY>US</COUNTRY> <LANGUAGE>1</LANGUAGE> What's the command/script to search it ? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravvij
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems in Usage of grep

Hi all, I have a file resp_cde.ats which has values as:- APPDIR=C:\Program Files\Cogny\cert PUBSDIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\documentation TOURDIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\tour DATADIR=C:\Program Files\Cognoy\cert\data Now I use the grep command in a shell script:- x=`grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikasrout
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/Parse a .xml file

I have a .xml file similar to the following: <Column> <Name>FIELD1</Name> <Title>CO.</Title> </Column> <Column> <Name>FIELD2</Name> <EditField>TextBox</EditField> <ColumnSpan0>4</ColumnSpan0> <Title>NORMAL</Title> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP for a tag in XML File

I have 2 XML Data files with a tag named PARTICIPATION_TYPE and i am trying to grep for that and getting unique values. However one of the xml data file data is not aligned properly like below. File 1: (works fine when i do grep) grep "PARTICIPATION_TYPE" file1.xml | sort -u Data: ....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep content in xml file

I have an xml file with header as below. <Provider xmlns="http://www.xyzx.gov/xyz" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.xyzx.gov/xyz xyz.xsd" SCHEMA_VERSION="2.5" PROVIDER="5"> I want to get the schema version here that is 2.5 and put in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep some values from XML file

Dear community, I have a big XML log file containing several rows splitted by tag: <ActivityLogRecord> and </ActivityLogRecord>. An example below. What I need is read the file and extract some value from each tags and put them into one line (each line for every <ActivityLogRecord> tag). So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep for a word in xml?

Hi, I have the below tag/s in my xml. <foreign-server name="MOHTASHIM_SERVER"> What will be the easist way to extract MOHTASHIM_SERVER without the double quotes "" from the above tag? Desired Output: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to fetch the value from a xml using sed, GREP?

I have a simple xml file,need the output with the <value> tag and <result> tag text.xml <test-method status="FAIL" duration="45"> <value> Id=C18 </value> <result> wrong paramter </result> </test-method> <test-method status="FAIL" duration="45"> <value> Id=C19 </value> <result> Data... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevAakash
5 Replies
Config::Any::XML(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Config::Any::XML(3)

NAME
Config::Any::XML - Load XML config files DESCRIPTION
Loads XML files. Example: <config> <name>TestApp</name> <component name="Controller::Foo"> <foo>bar</foo> </component> <model name="Baz"> <qux>xyzzy</qux> </model> </config> METHODS
extensions( ) return an array of valid extensions ("xml"). load( $file ) Attempts to load $file as an XML file. requires_all_of( ) Specifies that this module requires XML::Simple and XML::NamespaceSupport in order to work. CAVEATS
Strict Mode If, by some chance, XML::Simple has already been loaded with the strict flag turned on, then you will likely get errors as warnings will become fatal exceptions and certain arguments to XMLin() will no longer be optional. See XML::Simple's strict mode documentation for more information. AUTHORS
Brian Cassidy <bricas@cpan.org> Joel Bernstein <rataxis@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2006-2013 by Brian Cassidy This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
o Catalyst o Config::Any o XML::Simple perl v5.18.2 2013-09-10 Config::Any::XML(3)