Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Startup script to clean out trash can Post 302092719 by Andrek on Thursday 12th of October 2006 01:34:04 AM
Old 10-12-2006
Startup script to clean out trash can

I need to know how I would be able to clean out the trash can of a single "dumb" user every time the MAC is turned on.

Back ground.
OS 10.3x
G3 Mac
Two users configured...
1) Root or Admin (superuser)
2) student (Simple no access to anything but shared folder for files etc.)

The problem is student's keep deleteing items from the itunes area and the trash can fills up and gives system warnings about the trash getting to full ie /tmp 100%....

It would be great if I could create a startup script the deletes the trash for the user and modify the startup some how for this....

I know a little unix but never played with MAC's before

Thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing script to clean up a directory

I have to do a directory clean up on several machines. The task is as follows: go to a particular directory (cd /xxx) 1. create a directory ' SCRIPTCLEANUP ' ( i KNOW IT) loop through 2. List the directory 3. if directory and start with 'DQA' leave it, 4. if directory or file move it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

clean up script

I have a script which would monitor a given directory and delete any files which are older than 10 days. I was going to set the 10 crob jobs to perform this operation for 10 different directories (some are actually sub-directories), but my boss doesn't like that idea, so I need to do that in one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Script for automatic deletion of trash file of mail server

Hi, I have a mail server with limited space and operating system is sun solaris 8 (sparc). I do not have provisions to increase the space for home directory. So i have to delete files from /home/username/mail/trash which are more than 10 days old automatically. So my script should be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crown2100bd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean this script?

Hello guys, this script partially works but it's still pretty ugly and, moreover, if the month is jan/feb/mar... it doesn't work at all. Could anyone say me how to correct, cut and clean a little bit? #!/usr/bin/ksh egrep -v -e "^\s*#" /file/permission | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to FTP,clean up and email

Hi i need a unix script to do the following tasks. My folder structure is /home/MSTR/test and will have the following folder within it Cache Lookup Source Target 1. On the Source & Target folder i have to take a copy of files older than 5 days and move(FTP) it into local machines C:\Backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a shell script to clean data

Hi, Appreciated if anyone can throw some hint I have a file format like this: old(1): PRCNCP 1 old(2): PRSKU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'awk' help for script to clean out wireless.

I've been working on a script to clean out the wireless connections on my MAC. I know the terminal command to do this (that part is not rocket science ;) ) So I thought I would have a go at automating this but I'm having trouble with the 'awk' command & the correct context. My code is := ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Lien
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Script to clean files

Hello All, I need a script that would delete files which are more than "X" number of days old, also if there can be a log file of the deleted files for reference. I am from windows background hence finding it difficult. Any help is much appreciated Regards Wert (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wert468
4 Replies
File::Remove(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   File::Remove(3)

NAME
File::Remove - Remove files and directories SYNOPSIS
use File::Remove 'remove'; # removes (without recursion) several files remove( '*.c', '*.pl' ); # removes (with recursion) several directories remove( 1, qw{directory1 directory2} ); # removes (with recursion) several files and directories remove( 1, qw{file1 file2 directory1 *~} ); # trashes (with support for undeleting later) several files trash( '*~' ); DESCRIPTION
File::Remove::remove removes files and directories. It acts like /bin/rm, for the most part. Although "unlink" can be given a list of files, it will not remove directories; this module remedies that. It also accepts wildcards, * and ?, as arguments for filenames. File::Remove::trash accepts the same arguments as remove, with the addition of an optional, infrequently used "other platforms" hashref. SUBROUTINES
remove Removes files and directories. Directories are removed recursively like in rm -rf if the first argument is a reference to a scalar that evaluates to true. If the first arguemnt is a reference to a scalar then it is used as the value of the recursive flag. By default it's false so only pass 1 to it. In list context it returns a list of files/directories removed, in scalar context it returns the number of files/directories removed. The list/number should match what was passed in if everything went well. rm Just calls remove. It's there for people who get tired of typing remove. clear The "clear" function is a version of "remove" designed for use in test scripts. It takes a list of paths that it will both initially delete during the current test run, and then further flag for deletion at END-time as a convenience for the next test run. trash Removes files and directories, with support for undeleting later. Accepts an optional "other platforms" hashref, passing the remaining arguments to remove. Win32 Requires Win32::FileOp. Installation not actually enforced on Win32 yet, since Win32::FileOp has badly failing dependencies at time of writing. OS X Requires Mac::Glue. Other platforms The first argument to trash() must be a hashref with two keys, 'rmdir' and 'unlink', each referencing a coderef. The coderefs will be called with the filenames that are to be deleted. SUPPORT
Bugs should always be submitted via the CPAN bug tracker <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=File-Remove> For other issues, contact the maintainer. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Some parts copyright 2006 - 2012 Adam Kennedy. Taken over by Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> to fix the "deep readonly files" bug, and do some package cleaning. Some parts copyright 2004 - 2005 Richard Soderberg. Taken over by Richard Soderberg <perl@crystalflame.net> to port it to File::Spec and add tests. Original copyright: 1998 by Gabor Egressy, <gabor@vmunix.com>. This program is free software; you can redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2012-03-19 File::Remove(3)