Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Line with maximum no . of characters Post 302092675 by anbu23 on Wednesday 11th of October 2006 05:29:43 PM
Old 10-11-2006
Code:
awk ' length > max { max=length;row=NR } END{ print row" "max}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the Maximum number of characters that i can store in a variable?

Hi, Can any one tell me, what is the maximum number of characters that can be stored in a variable? Thanks in Advance, Shan (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcshan
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print the line containing the maximum value in a column

Dear all! I want to find the maximum value in two specific columns with numbers, and then print the entire line containing this value. The file may look like: 1001 34.5 68.7 67 1002 22.0 40.1 32 1003 11.3 34.8 45 I want to find the maximum value within column 2... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkong
22 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on ksh and sql..getting error as is too long. maximum size is 240 characters."

Hi, In my script i am executing sql file and there are some variables in SQL files which are assigned at run time. one of the variable value is having more than 240 characters and at time of execution its getting failed with error as "is too long. maximum size is 240 characters." ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pooga17
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

handling maximum number characters in an input file

Hi, Can anyone help me? An input file has three lines. Each line should only be 2098 as number of characters however line 2 of the input file has more than the maximum number of characters, it exceeded up to 4098. What should I do so that could handle maximum number of characters? that it could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrysSty
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum value of each line entry

Dear power users, I have a file like this: AA 8 AA 6 AA 5 AA 4 AA 3 BB 9 BB 4 BB 3 BB 2 ZZ 5 ZZ 3 ZZ 1 ... The characters in colum one are variously different until the end of the file. I want to extract the maximum value of each entry in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kecopx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number of characters in a line.

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the maximum number of characters that will fit into a single line of a flat file on a unix. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command line arguments

Hi, Can anyone please help me to know what is the maximum number of command line arguments that we can pass in unix shell script? Thanks in advance, Punitha.S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
2 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum length of a line

How can I change the maximum length of a programming line in fortran and C (specifically in fortran 77)? Seems the default maximum length is 72 in fortran 77. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
MAX(3)									 1								    MAX(3)

max - Find highest value

SYNOPSIS
mixed max (array $values) DESCRIPTION
mixed max (mixed $value1, mixed $value2, [mixed $...]) If the first and only parameter is an array, max(3) returns the highest value in that array. If at least two parameters are provided, max(3) returns the biggest of these values. Note Values of different types will be compared using the standard comparison rules. For instance, a non-numeric string will be com- pared to an integer as though it were 0, but multiple string values will be compared alphanumerically. The actual value returned will be of the original type with no conversion applied. PARAMETERS
o $values - An array containing the values. o $value1 - Any comparable value. o $value2 - Any comparable value. o $... - Any comparable value. RETURN VALUES
max(3) returns the parameter value considered "highest" according to standard comparisons. If multiple values of different types evaluate as equal (e.g. 0 and 'abc') the first provided to the function will be returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example uses of max(3) <?php echo max(2, 3, 1, 6, 7); // 7 echo max(array(2, 4, 5)); // 5 // The string 'hello' when compared to an int is treated as 0 // Since the two values are equal, the order they are provided determines the result echo max(0, 'hello'); // 0 echo max('hello', 0); // hello // Here we are comparing -1 < 0, so 'hello' is the highest value echo max('hello', -1); // hello // With multiple arrays of different lengths, max returns the longest $val = max(array(2, 2, 2), array(1, 1, 1, 1)); // array(1, 1, 1, 1) // Multiple arrays of the same length are compared from left to right // so in our example: 2 == 2, but 5 > 4 $val = max(array(2, 4, 8), array(2, 5, 1)); // array(2, 5, 1) // If both an array and non-array are given, the array will be returned // as comparisons treat arrays as greater than any other value $val = max('string', array(2, 5, 7), 42); // array(2, 5, 7) // If one argument is NULL or a boolean, it will be compared against // other values using the rule FALSE < TRUE regardless of the other types involved // In the below example, -10 is treated as TRUE in the comparison $val = max(-10, FALSE); // -10 // 0, on the other hand, is treated as FALSE, so is "lower than" TRUE $val = max(0, TRUE); // TRUE ?> SEE ALSO
min(3), count(3). PHP Documentation Group MAX(3)