Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Line with maximum no . of characters Post 302092667 by mohapatra on Wednesday 11th of October 2006 03:26:36 PM
Old 10-11-2006
Line with maximum no . of characters

Hey , I want to check the row in a file with maximum characters .
the output sud contain that row number along with the no of characters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the Maximum number of characters that i can store in a variable?

Hi, Can any one tell me, what is the maximum number of characters that can be stored in a variable? Thanks in Advance, Shan (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcshan
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print the line containing the maximum value in a column

Dear all! I want to find the maximum value in two specific columns with numbers, and then print the entire line containing this value. The file may look like: 1001 34.5 68.7 67 1002 22.0 40.1 32 1003 11.3 34.8 45 I want to find the maximum value within column 2... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkong
22 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on ksh and sql..getting error as is too long. maximum size is 240 characters."

Hi, In my script i am executing sql file and there are some variables in SQL files which are assigned at run time. one of the variable value is having more than 240 characters and at time of execution its getting failed with error as "is too long. maximum size is 240 characters." ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pooga17
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

handling maximum number characters in an input file

Hi, Can anyone help me? An input file has three lines. Each line should only be 2098 as number of characters however line 2 of the input file has more than the maximum number of characters, it exceeded up to 4098. What should I do so that could handle maximum number of characters? that it could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrysSty
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum value of each line entry

Dear power users, I have a file like this: AA 8 AA 6 AA 5 AA 4 AA 3 BB 9 BB 4 BB 3 BB 2 ZZ 5 ZZ 3 ZZ 1 ... The characters in colum one are variously different until the end of the file. I want to extract the maximum value of each entry in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kecopx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number of characters in a line.

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the maximum number of characters that will fit into a single line of a flat file on a unix. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command line arguments

Hi, Can anyone please help me to know what is the maximum number of command line arguments that we can pass in unix shell script? Thanks in advance, Punitha.S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
2 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum length of a line

How can I change the maximum length of a programming line in fortran and C (specifically in fortran 77)? Seems the default maximum length is 72 in fortran 77. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
PWQUALITY.CONF(5)						File Formats Manual						 PWQUALITY.CONF(5)

NAME
pwquality.conf - configuration for the libpwquality library SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/pwquality.conf DESCRIPTION
pwquality.conf provides a way to configure the default password quality requirements for the system passwords. This file is read by the libpwquality library and utilities that use this library for checking and generating passwords. The file has a very simple name = value format with possible comments starting with # character. The whitespace at the beginning of line, end of line, and around the = sign is ignored. OPTIONS
The possible options in the file are: difok Number of characters in the new password that must not be present in the old password. (default 5) minlen Minimum acceptable size for the new password (plus one if credits are not disabled which is the default). (See pam_pwquality(8).) Cannot be set to lower value than 6. (default 9) dcredit The maximum credit for having digits in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of digits in the new password. (default 1) ucredit The maximum credit for having uppercase characters in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of uppercase char- acters in the new password. (default 1) lcredit The maximum credit for having lowercase characters in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of lowercase char- acters in the new password. (default 1) ocredit The maximum credit for having other characters in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of other characters in the new password. (default 1) minclass The minimum number of required classes of characters for the new password (digits, uppercase, lowercase, others). (default 0) maxrepeat The maximum number of allowed same consecutive characters in the new password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) maxsequence The maximum length of monotonic character sequences in the new password. Examples of such sequence are '12345' or 'fedcb'. Note that most such passwords will not pass the simplicity check unless the sequence is only a minor part of the password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) maxclassrepeat The maximum number of allowed consecutive characters of the same class in the new password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) gecoscheck If nonzero, check whether the words longer than 3 characters from the GECOS field of the user's passwd entry are contained in the new password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) badwords Space separated list of words that must not be contained in the password. These are additional words to the cracklib dictionary check. This setting can be also used by applications to emulate the gecos check for user accounts that are not created yet. dictpath Path to the cracklib dictionaries. Default is to use the cracklib default. SEE ALSO
pwscore(1), pwmake(1), pam_pwquality(8) AUTHORS
Tomas Mraz <tmraz@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc. 10 Nov 2011 PWQUALITY.CONF(5)