Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem in shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in shell Post 302092606 by Sandeep Kale on Wednesday 11th of October 2006 04:05:24 AM
Old 10-11-2006
Problem in shell

hi,
can any one tell a solution for the following :

I want to append 10 spaces and a string say "ok" to 12 digit number which is stored in a varialbe & display using shell script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell problem

&& set -x && echo "enter tablespace_end_backup" >&2 Can you tell me what's mean above? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lee
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Problem.

Hello and Good day to all. Im having a problem here and would like to know if there is any solution that could overcome my problem. I have changed from bash to csh (c-shell) yesterday on my Linux 7.2. When i do $echo $SHELL i can see the output /bin/csh which means ihave succesfully landed on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ###1tomato
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Problem

Dear Members; I changed ,by mistake ,the root shell in /etc/passwd and logged out. Thereafter, I can no more have a prompt when trynig to log in as root. How to solve this pb ? Regards :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oss
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell problem

What are the different type of shell available in UNIX and how to change the shell? just this 2 question pls help mi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeah016
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Problem

Hi all, until yesturday grep command was running in KSH .... I was executing this command ls -l | grep *.sh But today its not working at all ... Should I check any of the setting ... I am not getting whats the problem ... I have relogged to unix box but it didn't... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjayk
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with if in shell

Hi, My sheel script has below statement: if; then When I run iam getting the below error: -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `then' What is wrong with that statement: Plz help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeep_script
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell problem

Hello! Can you please help me on a lab at school: I have to to write a shell program which reads all .C files from the current directory and prints for each file how many '#define' directives it has and for each macro defined how many times is it used in that file. Can you suggest how can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dark_knight
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in shell script

hi...i create a script which reads data from file and compare that the data which is entered by me through keyboard...i can easily read first two contents of file..i am facing the problem to read other contents.. structure of my file is username:password:username1:password1.......and so on ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell problem

problem: I give the source of a c program.. is required to indicate how many times is called each function defined in the program and line number there is a call. let's say i have lab2.c: float dist(int *a,int *b,int n){ int i=0; double d=0; for (i=1;i<=n;i++){ d+=pow((a-b),2); }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sherpeledenis
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell problem

this picture for print You didn't do the question. Go back. if $1 = 0 but until now it give me this message what i should be do ? http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6137/eeevb.jpg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeeZaaR
2 Replies
XINIT(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     XINIT(1)

NAME
xinit - X Window System initializer SYNOPSIS
xinit [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The xinit program is used to start the X Window System server and a first client program on systems that are not using a display manager such as xdm(1) or in environments that use multiple window systems. When this first client exits, xinit will kill the X server and then terminate. If no specific client program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xinitrc to run as a shell script to start up client programs. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: xterm -geometry +1+1 -n login -display :0 If no specific server program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xserverrc to run as a shell script to start up the server. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: X :0 Note that this assumes that there is a program named X in the current search path. The site administrator should, therefore, make a link to the appropriate type of server on the machine, or create a shell script that runs xinit with the appropriate server. Note, when using a .xserverrc script be sure to ``exec'' the real X server. Failing to do this can make the X server slow to start and exit. For example: exec Xdisplaytype An important point is that programs which are run by .xinitrc should be run in the background if they do not exit right away, so that they don't prevent other programs from starting up. However, the last long-lived program started (usually a window manager or terminal emula- tor) should be left in the foreground so that the script won't exit (which indicates that the user is done and that xinit should exit). An alternate client and/or server may be specified on the command line. The desired client program and its arguments should be given as the first command line arguments to xinit. To specify a particular server command line, append a double dash (--) to the xinit command line (after any client and arguments) followed by the desired server command. Both the client program name and the server program name must begin with a slash (/) or a period (.). Otherwise, they are treated as an arguments to be appended to their respective startup lines. This makes it possible to add arguments (for example, foreground and back- ground colors) without having to retype the whole command line. If an explicit server name is not given and the first argument following the double dash (--) is a colon followed by a digit, xinit will use that number as the display number instead of zero. All remaining arguments are appended to the server command line. EXAMPLES
Below are several examples of how command line arguments in xinit are used. xinit This will start up a server named X and run the user's .xinitrc, if it exists, or else start an xterm. xinit -- /usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 This is how one could start a specific type of server on an alternate display. xinit -geometry =80x65+10+10 -fn 8x13 -j -fg white -bg navy This will start up a server named X, and will append the given arguments to the default xterm command. It will ignore .xinitrc. xinit -e widgets -- ./Xorg -l -c This will use the command .Xorg -l -c to start the server and will append the arguments -e widgets to the default xterm command. xinit /usr/ucb/rsh fasthost cpupig -display ws:1 -- :1 -a 2 -t 5 This will start a server named X on display 1 with the arguments -a 2 -t 5. It will then start a remote shell on the machine fasthost in which it will run the command cpupig, telling it to display back on the local workstation. Below is a sample .xinitrc that starts a clock, several terminals, and leaves the window manager running as the ``last'' application. Assuming that the window manager has been configured properly, the user then chooses the ``Exit'' menu item to shut down X. xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid gray & xclock -g 50x50-0+0 -bw 0 & xload -g 50x50-50+0 -bw 0 & xterm -g 80x24+0+0 & xterm -g 80x24+0-0 & twm Sites that want to create a common startup environment could simply create a default .xinitrc that references a site-wide startup file: #!/bin/sh . /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc Another approach is to write a script that starts xinit with a specific shell script. Such scripts are usually named x11, xstart, or startx and are a convenient way to provide a simple interface for novice users: #!/bin/sh xinit /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X -br ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. XINITRC This variable specifies an init file containing shell commands to start up the initial windows. By default, .xinitrc in the home directory will be used. FILES
.xinitrc default client script xterm client to run if .xinitrc does not exist .xserverrc default server script X server to run if .xserverrc does not exist SEE ALSO
X(7), startx(1), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), xterm(1) AUTHOR
Bob Scheifler, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 XINIT(1)