Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting displaying the path in the command line Post 302092488 by ocelot on Tuesday 10th of October 2006 09:30:46 AM
Old 10-10-2006
displaying the path in the command line

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am?

thanks

Ocelot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying the first line?

how do i display just the first line of a file with the cat command or any command for that matter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imuuk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -R command but need complete path name on each line

Can anyone help me with the following: I need to traverse subdirectories to create a list of files with the pathname. For example, here's what I get with a simple ls -alR command: /MAIN/data/30007390 dte2>>ls -alR .: total 2 drwxrwx--- 4 ecfadmin staff 96 Oct 24 18:35 . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: condor4-2
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display full unix path as part of the command line

Hi all, Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am? thanks Ocelot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying the last line of the file

hi... i need to display the last line of the file and capture the line in to a variable in unix envt.(not the perl ones)... please help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmadhuri
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying mutliple fields on command line

This is probably the dumbest question you guys can get, but I'm trying, as a complete noob, to display the unix calendar for all the months without Saturday and Sunday showing. How can I remove those fields without having to type all the fields in individually such as: cal -y | awk '{print $2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying field of NR, not the line #

Within AWK, how do you display a field of NR? Here's my code: awk '(NR>1) && (P1=$1-w)>=100000 {print "increase of" " " P1*.0000179," " "kW at" " " 'NR*60/431900' " " "minutes" "\n" "change from" " " 'NR-10($1)' " " "kW to" " " 'NR+70($1)' "\n"}{w=$1}' filename I can change NR and print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markymarkg123
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Displaying command return in one line

Hello all I have a query (SQL) that returns a rather long field from an Oracle database. The field in question is defined on 400 characters but all these 400 cannot be displayed by the echo command. Thus when I launch the following command: echo "SELECT FIELD01 FROM TABLE_NAME;" | sqlplus -s... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match a path anywhere in the line and replace it with new path

I want to pattern match only path part from below and replace them with new path string. LoadModule jk_module /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/modules/mod_jk.so JkWorkersFile /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/config/OHS/ohs1/workers.properties JkLogFile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying every other line in an array.

Hi, I have an array, that works well. But, I want to have it display every other line. Like so, 1, 3, 5, 7, etc, etc. Here is the relevant code: I'm sorry for the pastebin link. For some reason, I can't get the code to format properly with the code tags. code tags work fine... everyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
4 Replies
pathalias(4)							   File Formats 						      pathalias(4)

NAME
pathalias - alias file for FACE SYNOPSIS
/usr/vmsys/pathalias DESCRIPTION
The pathalias files contain lines of the form alias=path where path can be one or more colon-separated directories. Whenever a FACE (Framed Access Command Environment, see face(1)) user references a path not beginning with a ``/'', this file is checked. If the first com- ponent of the pathname matches the left-hand side of the equals sign, the right-hand side is searched much like $PATH variable in the sys- tem. This allows users to reference the folder $HOME/FILECABINET by typing filecabinet. There is a system-wide pathalias file called $VMSYS/pathalias, and each user can also have local alias file called $HOME/pref/pathalias. Settings in the user alias file override settings in the system-wide file. The system-wide file is shipped with several standard FACE aliases, such as filecabinet, wastebasket, preferences, other_users, etc. FILES
$HOME/pref/pathalias $VMSYS/pathalias SEE ALSO
face(1) NOTES
Unlike command keywords, partial matching of a path alias is not permitted, however, path aliases are case insensitive. The name of an alias should be alphabetic, and in no case can it contain special characters like ``/'', ``'', or ``=''. There is no particular limit on the number of aliases allowed. Alias files are read once, at login, and are held in core until logout. Thus, if an alias file is modified during a session, the change will not take effect until the next session. SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 pathalias(4)