Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reboot User's workstation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reboot User's workstation Post 302092457 by lweegp on Tuesday 10th of October 2006 03:43:56 AM
Old 10-10-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam
If you know the workstation IPs/hostname ; you can use rsh command. Iam not sure but you can try.
This is how my script will look like

#!/bin/ksh

> /tmp/rebootip

for i in `cat /tmp/ip` [U]--> this is where all the user's ip address will be stored[/U]
do
if [ "`ping $i 1 | grep alive`" != "" ]
then
echo $i >> /tmp/rebootip
fi
done

for i in `cat /tmp/rebootip`
do
sync
sync
sync
init 6
done

is this correct? or i need to use rsh to remotely log in to reboot? thanks samsam Smilie

wee

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

emulations in workstation...

i have a network with Windows NT 4.0, and now i will install a UNIX server. Bud my workstation are in NT Workstation 4.0. I don't know about this installation. how do i for this connection. have i to use workstation emulation? please, help me!!! ASAP. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmilano
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP UX workstation?

Hi, I want to learn more about HP UX and I want to purchase an HP UX workstation to further my self studying. Which is a good model and where can I purchase a used system? thanks so much, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to reset my workstation!

I am having an error in my workstation. I want to reset it and start from scratch. I also want to add a 120 G. Drive to my workstation. I checked out a book at my local library on unix. I still can't figure out how to erase everything and install this drive,please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sotelo_27
4 Replies

4. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Setting up a new workstation

Hi all, I'm about to build a new workstation and was thinking about running Solaris 10 on it. First the hardware: AMD opteron 2.2Ghz dual Core 2GB RAM Nvidia Quadro FX1400 SATA 2x250GB HDD 2x Eizo S1911 Monitors Will Solaris handle the dualscreens or will i have to use only one? Also,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmy66
6 Replies

6. Solaris

NIS on vmware workstation

Hi Admins, I just have a doubt on NIS that, is it possible to run NIS on vmware workstation running more than 1 solaris instances. i.e. can we setup one solaris instance as master and others as slaves...?? I have vista on my laptop. I am concern about the domain name it will ask while... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies

7. Linux

vmware workstation

i have following :- fedora 16 x 64bit kernel 3.2.7-1 vmware workstation 8.0.2. Steps to install vmware workstation to access ESX machine 1- sh vmware name.bundle 2- setup started and completed with out any warning. 3- when i type "vmware " then "VMware Module Updater Started" and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: engrtahir2007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run script automatically on reboot as root user?

Hi friends,,, I am running one server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit, some times my pc restarts automatically, with no reason, I have a script to start server which requires root password. in this directory /myserver/start_server.sh How can I do this ? and some scripts I am having that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
1 Replies

9. AIX

Please help: workstation broken?

I have buy an used Workstation intellistation power5 IBM. But doesn't work. How to turn on? I try to connect network asmi take the ip ping is ok telnet ok but if i try to connect to a browser give me timeout The display give me a yellow sign ! and error B150F22A Someone can help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
2 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. Example 1: Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2: Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix /var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. 11 Apr 2005 reboot(1M)