Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: V890 Benefits over V880
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users V890 Benefits over V880 Post 302092415 by si_linux on Monday 9th of October 2006 03:42:38 PM
Old 10-09-2006
Hi there,

I have been investigating the differences between a V880 and V890 as we currently have a V880 and want to get a DR box of similar spec.

As far as I can see the main difference is the fact the V890 can use the UltraSparc IV+ processors. This is a good thing as the IV+'s are multicored processors (as far as I can tell) which allow for a higher performance for a given number of processors over the V880.

Again from what I can tell the backplane is the same.

The only reason why I would push for a V890 is the potential for the awesome dualcore processors and having a much more powerful platform. Given that Solaris 10 is all pushing zones and containers this may be beneficial.

Hope that helped - it is just my thoughts - and again I am not an expert on SUN (although I would like to be one day!!).

Si

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Installing Solaris 8 on a V890

Question, I have a new V890 preloaded witrh Solaris 10. Due to SW compatibility I need to run Sol 8 on the server. When running boot cdrom from the ok prompt, I get amessages looking for a location on the CDROM to find the startup install SW. The path must be different from what's on Sol 10 install... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stocksj
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are some benefits of the UNIX hierarchical file structure?

What are some benefits of the UNIX hierarchical file structure? I am new to UNIX and researching some information about it for a class so please help if you can. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 88923JJJSDK
1 Replies

3. Solaris

HBA problem...? at SF V890

Dear All, I need your help. I have server like this SunOS 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890 with messages like this... Oct 10 17:07:52 iscsi: NOTICE: unrecognized ioctl 0x403 Oct 10 17:07:52 scsi: WARNING: /pseudo/fcp@0 (fcp0): Oct 10 17:07:52 Invalid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manger - Database Replicas Question - Benefits of Increasing Default Size?

Hey all! I was hoping someone knew anything about this one... I know with Solaris Volume Manager the default Database Replica size is 8192 blocks (4MB approximately) Now I know you can increase this amount but is there any point? The reason I am asking this is that I've setup mirroring on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

5. Solaris

v890 cannot boot

I just received a v890. I cannot get it to boot via CDROM nor can I access the SC prompt because I do not know the password. I am attempting to access it via serial cable to a Linux box. What is the best way to proceed? (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
25 Replies

6. Solaris

Could you run this benchmark? (Especially if you have a V880 or V890)

Hi all I am currently using a T5120 to write and run some simulation code I've been working on which heavily relies on large matrix multiplication procedures. I am posting this to call out for some of you run and share the results of a simple benchmark I've written to compare the matrix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: toguro123
1 Replies
GET_NPROCS(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     GET_NPROCS(3)

NAME
get_nprocs, get_nprocs_conf - get number of processors SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sysinfo.h> int get_nprocs(void); int get_nprocs_conf(void); DESCRIPTION
The function get_nprocs_conf() returns the number of processors configured by the operating system. The function get_nprocs() returns the number of processors currently available in the system. This may be less than the number returned by get_nprocs_conf() because processors may be offline (e.g., on hotpluggable systems). RETURN VALUE
As given in DESCRIPTION. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +------------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +------------------+---------------+---------+ |get_nprocs(), | Thread safety | MT-Safe | |get_nprocs_conf() | | | +------------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
These functions are GNU extensions. NOTES
The current implementation of these functions is rather expensive, since they open and parse files in the /sys filesystem each time they are called. The following sysconf(3) calls make use of the functions documented on this page to return the same information. np = sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF); /* processors configured */ np = sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN); /* processors available */ EXAMPLE
The following example shows how get_nprocs() and get_nprocs_conf() can be used. #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/sysinfo.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { printf("This system has %d processors configured and " "%d processors available. ", get_nprocs_conf(), get_nprocs()); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
nproc(1) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 GET_NPROCS(3)