Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long Post 302092380 by jyoung on Monday 9th of October 2006 07:52:18 AM
Old 10-09-2006
If you do a search of these forums you will find many answers to your problem. Here is one:
https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t...=arg+list+long

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

arg list too long

Does anyone have a solution for arg list too long error. I have got this from the web but I fail to make any sense out of it Thanks enc (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -t arg list too long

echo dirname/filename* | xargs ls -t As a substitute doesn't give the results desired when I exceed the buffer size. I still want the files listed in chronological order, unfortunately xargs releases the names piecemeal...does anyone have any ideas? :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSU_Ram
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long

when i run the command below in a directory which contains too many files i got the error: ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long ls|grep AA*B* how can i handle this problem? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 the parameter list is too long.

Hi, I'm trying to list specific files and redirecting to a file ls aqp* > temp.lst but getting "/usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 the parameter list is too long." error. I just have 236 files in the directory. I tried "ls | grep 'aqp*' > temp.lst" too, but nothing was redirected. + grep aqp* +... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dateez
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long

I ran this script in AIX 5L environment and getting an error usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long Our administrator had increased the maxium allowable size of the ARG/ENV list but it still doesn't work. I have tested the command in red below in the unix prompt and it works just... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanie123
13 Replies

7. AIX

gmake[1]: execvp: /bin/sh: Arg list too long

I am having a code which will create archive after build. Ibuild code on IBM AIX 5.3. It supposed to create 2 archive after build. I am getting 1st archive successfully but when build starts for second archive after some processing it throws an following error message- ar cq... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindb
4 Replies

8. AIX

aix:ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

Hi, I am getting the below error message When i am trying to delete the files from the directory.Could you please guide me? rm *.aud ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. and find /oracle/admin/testP/adump/*.aud -mtime +5 -exec rm {} \; ksh: /usr/bin/find:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokiae63
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script throwing arg list too long for mv cp wc - everything

i have a ksh script which internally calls another ksh script. this inner script has simple commands like shown in the code window. In the script im trying to do a mv - it fails with arg list too long. then i try to perform cp and cat - and both are failing with similar error. :wall: How is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nyc68
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg list too long

Hello All, I am trying to find a file name with .sh exention from a list of .dat files inside a directory. find /app/folder1/* -name '*.dat'| xargs grep '.sh' ksh: /usr/local/bin/find: arg list too long Please help me finding the command. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkhan9
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)