Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long Post 302092364 by jitindrabappa on Monday 9th of October 2006 06:28:47 AM
Old 10-09-2006
ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long

I am using IBM AIX unix version 4.3.3.0.

In a directory there are many files with different patterns.
When I am trying to execute the command, ls -l with the file pattern, which have fewer files it gives the desired result. However when I am trying to execute the same command for file pattern, which have more files, it gives error like below.

command : ls -l *CHEQ*.pdf
ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long

Is there any alternative to solve this problem ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

arg list too long

Does anyone have a solution for arg list too long error. I have got this from the web but I fail to make any sense out of it Thanks enc (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -t arg list too long

echo dirname/filename* | xargs ls -t As a substitute doesn't give the results desired when I exceed the buffer size. I still want the files listed in chronological order, unfortunately xargs releases the names piecemeal...does anyone have any ideas? :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSU_Ram
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long

when i run the command below in a directory which contains too many files i got the error: ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long ls|grep AA*B* how can i handle this problem? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 the parameter list is too long.

Hi, I'm trying to list specific files and redirecting to a file ls aqp* > temp.lst but getting "/usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 the parameter list is too long." error. I just have 236 files in the directory. I tried "ls | grep 'aqp*' > temp.lst" too, but nothing was redirected. + grep aqp* +... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dateez
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long

I ran this script in AIX 5L environment and getting an error usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long Our administrator had increased the maxium allowable size of the ARG/ENV list but it still doesn't work. I have tested the command in red below in the unix prompt and it works just... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanie123
13 Replies

7. AIX

gmake[1]: execvp: /bin/sh: Arg list too long

I am having a code which will create archive after build. Ibuild code on IBM AIX 5.3. It supposed to create 2 archive after build. I am getting 1st archive successfully but when build starts for second archive after some processing it throws an following error message- ar cq... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindb
4 Replies

8. AIX

aix:ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

Hi, I am getting the below error message When i am trying to delete the files from the directory.Could you please guide me? rm *.aud ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. and find /oracle/admin/testP/adump/*.aud -mtime +5 -exec rm {} \; ksh: /usr/bin/find:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokiae63
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script throwing arg list too long for mv cp wc - everything

i have a ksh script which internally calls another ksh script. this inner script has simple commands like shown in the code window. In the script im trying to do a mv - it fails with arg list too long. then i try to perform cp and cat - and both are failing with similar error. :wall: How is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nyc68
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg list too long

Hello All, I am trying to find a file name with .sh exention from a list of .dat files inside a directory. find /app/folder1/* -name '*.dat'| xargs grep '.sh' ksh: /usr/local/bin/find: arg list too long Please help me finding the command. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkhan9
3 Replies
pfexec(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         pfexec(1)

NAME
pfexec, pfsh, pfcsh, pfksh - execute a command in a profile SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/pfexec command /usr/bin/pfexec -P privspec command [ arg ...] /usr/bin/pfsh [ options ] [ argument ...] /usr/bin/pfcsh [ options ] [ argument ...] /usr/bin/pfksh [ options ] [ argument ...] DESCRIPTION
The pfexec program is used to execute commands with the attributes specified by the user's profiles in the exec_attr(4) database. It is invoked by the profile shells, pfsh, pfcsh, and pfksh which are linked to the Bourne shell, C shell, and Korn shell, respectively. Profiles are searched in the order specified in the user's entry in the user_attr(4) database. If the same command appears in more than one profile, the profile shell uses the first matching entry. The second form, pfexec -P privspec, allows a user to obtain the additional privileges awarded to the user's profiles in prof_attr(4). The privileges specification on the commands line is parsed using priv_str_to_set(3C). The resulting privileges are intersected with the union of the privileges specified using the "privs" keyword in prof_attr(4) for all the user's profiles and added to the inheritable set before executing the command. USAGE
pfexec is used to execute commands with predefined process attributes, such as specific user or group IDs. Refer to the sh(1), csh(1), and ksh(1) man pages for complete usage descriptions of the profile shells. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Obtaining additional user privileges example% pfexec -P all chown user file This command runs chown user file with all privileges assigned to the current user, not necessarily all privileges. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), profiles(1), sh(1), exec_attr(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2003 pfexec(1)