Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding new groups!!
Operating Systems Solaris Adding new groups!! Post 302092231 by BOFH on Saturday 7th of October 2006 12:49:54 PM
Old 10-07-2006
Just a little pickiness, just in case. It's "/etc/group" not groups.

You never know Smilie

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding user to groups

How do I add a user to a group? And how do I determine the list of groups to add a user? Solaris 10 newbie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peteythapitbull
1 Replies

2. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

groups starting with c2?

I have some groups and when i issue a command like groups $LOGNAME it displays in one line rfautosys c2ru cash2 I want to fetch only group starting with c2 but when i grep i am getting full line. Can someone advise on this please as how i can get output as c2ru? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

4. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

5. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Groups

Must I be in a group? I am using Ubuntu and am the only user on my PC. I know how to change groups but do not see a way to not be in a group. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthepines
2 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion: adding two new groups "sed" and "awk"

Majority of the questions are pertaining file/string parsing w.r.t sed or awk It would be nice to have these two as their own sub category under shell-programming-scripting which can avoid lot of duplicate posts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jville
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting in groups

Hi, I am looking at a slightly different sorting problem and I am not sure how to do it in bash. I have the following input: 0 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Adding to an array in an external file, and adding elements to it.

I have an array in an external file, "array.txt", which contains: char *testarray={"Zero", "One", "Two", "Three", "Four", "Five", "Six", "Seven", "Eight", "Nine"};I want to be able to add an element to this array, and have that element display, whenever I call it, without having to recompile... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
29 Replies
GETGROUPLIST(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   GETGROUPLIST(3)

NAME
getgrouplist -- calculate partial group access list LIBRARY
Standard system libraries. SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int getgrouplist(const char *name, int basegid, int *groups, int *ngroups); DESCRIPTION
The getgrouplist() function obtains information from opendirectoryd(8) to construct the group access list for the user specified in name. The basegid is automatically included in the groups list. Typically this value is given as the default group number from the user's account record. The resulting group list is returned in the array pointed to by groups. The caller specifies the size of the groups array in the integer pointed to by ngroups; the actual number of groups found is returned in ngroups. RETURN VALUES
The getgrouplist() function returns 0 on success. If the size of the group list is too small to hold all the user's groups, getgrouplist() returns -1 to indicate failure. In this case, the group array will be filled with as many groups as will fit. FILES
/etc/group group membership list SEE ALSO
setgroups(2), initgroups(3), opendirectoryd(8). HISTORY
The getgrouplist() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD