Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding new groups!!
Operating Systems Solaris Adding new groups!! Post 302092060 by atheek on Friday 6th of October 2006 09:50:54 AM
Old 10-06-2006
Adding new groups!!

I want to know how we can add a new group in solaris. As per my understanding this is done by adding a new entry in /etc/groups file (or by using groupadd command which will also add the entry in the groups file). But when I use group command to see the groups to which I belong, it shows my userid is a part of mqm group, but there is no entry for mqm in /etc/groups file. Am I missing something???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding user to groups

How do I add a user to a group? And how do I determine the list of groups to add a user? Solaris 10 newbie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peteythapitbull
1 Replies

2. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

groups starting with c2?

I have some groups and when i issue a command like groups $LOGNAME it displays in one line rfautosys c2ru cash2 I want to fetch only group starting with c2 but when i grep i am getting full line. Can someone advise on this please as how i can get output as c2ru? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

4. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

5. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Groups

Must I be in a group? I am using Ubuntu and am the only user on my PC. I know how to change groups but do not see a way to not be in a group. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthepines
2 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion: adding two new groups "sed" and "awk"

Majority of the questions are pertaining file/string parsing w.r.t sed or awk It would be nice to have these two as their own sub category under shell-programming-scripting which can avoid lot of duplicate posts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jville
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting in groups

Hi, I am looking at a slightly different sorting problem and I am not sure how to do it in bash. I have the following input: 0 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Adding to an array in an external file, and adding elements to it.

I have an array in an external file, "array.txt", which contains: char *testarray={"Zero", "One", "Two", "Three", "Four", "Five", "Six", "Seven", "Eight", "Nine"};I want to be able to add an element to this array, and have that element display, whenever I call it, without having to recompile... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
29 Replies
show group(1m)															    show group(1m)

NAME
show group - Shows the members of a group SYNOPSIS
rpccp show group group-entry-name [-m member] [-r [ integer]] [-s syntax] [-u] OPTIONS
Declares the name of a single group member. Indicates that the show group operation recurses. If any members of a group are also groups, their entries are shown. By default, the -r option causes the show group operation to recurse until all nested groups are expanded; for example, -r shows the members of the specified group and all nested groups. You can limit recursion to one or more levels by specifying a decimal integer as part of the -r option. For example, -r 1 shows the members of the specified group and, for members that are groups, the command also shows their members; then recursion stops. Without the -r option, only the members of the specified group are shown. Indicates the name syntax of the entry name (optional). The only value for this option is the dce name syntax, which is the default name syntax. Until an alternative name syntax becomes available, speci- fying the -s option is unnecessary. Updates the local CDS cache copy of name service data (optional). Name service data is cached locally on each machine in a cell. If an rpccp inquiry can be satisfied by data in the local CDS cache, this cached data is returned. Locally cached copies of name service data might not include a recent CDS update, however. If the required data is not available in the local CDS cache, rpccp goes to a CDS server(s) to retrieve the required data. rpccp then updates the local CDS cache. Using the -u option bypasses the local cache, allowing rpccp to go directly to a CDS server for the inquiry. rpccp then updates the local CDS cache. ARGUMENTS
Indicates the name of the target group. For an entry in the local cell, you can omit the cell name and specify only the cell-relative name. DESCRIPTION
The show group command shows the members of a group in the name service database. The entry name of the group is required. Unless it is limited to a specific member (by the -m option), the show group command shows all members. The command shows only the members in the spec- ified group; the -r option enables you to show members of nested groups. Privilege Required You need read permission to the CDS object entry (the target group entry). If you use the -r option, you also need read permission to any nested groups. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLES
The following example shows all the members of the group /.:/LandS/anthro/Calendar_group, in the order in which they were added to the group: $ rpccp rpccp> show group /.:/LandS/anthro/Calendar_group The following command operates from the system prompt to show a specific member of the group /.:/LandS/dept/Calendar_group: $ rpccp show group > -m /.:/LandS/anthro/Cal_host_2 > /.:/LandS/anthro/Calen- dar_group RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add member(1m), remove group(1m), remove member(1m) show group(1m)