Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Equivalent to locate
Operating Systems Solaris Equivalent to locate Post 302091897 by reborg on Thursday 5th of October 2006 05:00:49 PM
Old 10-05-2006
In that case why not just grep /var/sadm/install/contents?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to locate SSH

In our unix environment I'm not able to locate where ssh is located. can any one guide me in finding the location of this tool. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to locate servers

I am a newbie in shell scripting and I need to produce a script to work and achieve the following: 1) Look into the file /etc/defaultrouter , and store the value in it 2) If the value is a number, go to LIST and print out the second column corresponding to the value.(eg London) 3) If the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command locate.

Hi, I am aware of the command locate/slocate. But when I try to search the file which is located in /tmp. Its not able to get it. I tried by updating the database also with the command updatedb. Is there any consern that the command 'locate' dont check /tmp??? And I knew that locate is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

4. Linux

Help to locate the files

I m new to the linux environment.Help me with ur suggestions. How can i obtain the file names alone from ls -ltr output?? And those files should have been created before three months and earlier than that.. Thanks and wishes, Rupaa. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rupaa
8 Replies

5. AIX

Locate command

Hello to all, Can I use the "locate" command on AIX 5.3 like on Linux. If yes what packages should I install and where can I find them. Thanks, Enid (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of locate

Hi The locate command searches the pattern in all the directories. How can i make it look in for a specific directory because i know the directory in which the file exists. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2002anand
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locate equivalent in UNIX

Hi All, I am a frequent user of loacate in linux and really impressed with its speed and accuracy. I would like to know if there is any such equivalent in UNIX. (not the find, which is relatively very slow) Any locate packages which can be made available in UNIX(HP-UX) for this? TIA,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC

my os details as follow bash-3.2$ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) I run the following and encounter the following error bash-3.2$ mysqlhotcopy -? Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tring to locate a script

Hello, We have a process on our Linux RedHat machine creating symbolic links and moving around some files from domain to domain. The issue is that the programmer has left a long time ago and nobody knows how the program is called, where it is and how the scheduling is setup. It runs every day for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! I want to locate only dir and tar.gz

I making a script to restore apache from a configuration_backup tar. For now i want at the beginning of the script that you can make a choice to choose one of the configuration_backup tars. I use this code now: `locate /restore/configuration/configuration_backup*` But if i use this i get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dannyvdberg
1 Replies
contents(4)							   File Formats 						       contents(4)

NAME
contents - list of files and associated packages SYNOPSIS
/var/sadm/install/contents DESCRIPTION
The file /var/sadm/install/contents is a source of information about the packages installed on the system. This file must never be edited directly. Always use the package and patch commands (see SEE ALSO) to make changes to the contents file. Each entry in the contents file is a single line. Fields in each entry are separated by a single space character. Two major styles of entries exist, old style and new style. The following is the format of an old-style entry: ftype class path package(s) The following is the general format of a new-style entry: path[=rpath] ftype class [ftype-optional-fields] package(s) New-style entries differ for each ftype. The ftype designates the entry type, as specified in pkgmap(4). The format for new-style entries, for each ftype, is as follows: ftype s: path=rpath s class package ftype l: path l class package ftype d: path d class mode owner group package(s) ftype b: path b class major minor mode owner group package ftype c: path c class major minor mode owner group package ftype f: path f class mode owner group size cksum modtime package ftype x: path x class mode owner group package ftype v: path v class mode owner group size cksum modtime package ftype e: path e class mode owner group size cksum modtime package A significant distinction between old- and new-style entries is that the former do not begin with a slash (/) character, while the latter (new-style) always do. For example, the following are new-style entries: d none /dev SUNWcsd e passwd /etc/passwd SUNWcsr The following are new-style entries: /dev d none 0755 root sys SUNWcsr SUNWcsd /etc/passwd e passwd 0644 root sys 580 48299 1077177419 SUNWcsr The following are the descriptions of the fields in both old- and new-style entries. path The absolute path of the node being described. For ftype s (indicating a symbolic link) this is the indirect pointer (link) name. rpath The relative path to the real file or linked-to directory name. ftype A one-character field that indicates the entry type (see pkgmap(4)). class The installation class to which the file belongs (see pkgmap(4)). package The package associated with this entry. For ftype d (directory) more than one package can be present. mode The octal mode of the file (see pkgmap(4)). owner The owner of the file (see pkgmap(4)). group The group to which the file belongs (see pkgmap(4)). major The major device number (see pkgmap(4)). minor The minor device number (see pkgmap(4)). size The actual size of the file in bytes as reported by sum (see pkgmap(4)). cksum The checksum of the file contents (see pkgmap(4)). modtime The time of last modification (see pkgmap(4)). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
patchadd(1M), pkgadd(1M), pkgadm(1M), pkgchk(1M), pkgmap(4), attributes(5) NOTES
As shown above, the interface stability of /var/sadm/install/contents is Unstable (see attributes(5)). It is common practice to use this file in a read-only manner to determine which files belong to which packages installed on a system. While this file has been present for many releases of the Solaris operating system, it might not be present in future releases. The fully supported way to obtain information from the installed package database is through pkgchk(1M). It is highly recommended that you use pkgchk rather than relying on the contents file. SunOS 5.10 29 Jun 2004 contents(4)