Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding text to a file between lines Post 302091851 by anbu23 on Thursday 5th of October 2006 11:24:11 AM
Old 10-05-2006
Code:
sed "/first line/i\\
hi buddy\\
how r u ?\\
Gud morning" file

or if you want to add contents from a file use this

Code:
sed "/first line/r secondfile" file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to the end of lines containing a word

I'm new to shell scripting, and need to add a series of commands to the ends of certain lines of text that contain a keyword. Any easy way to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironwall
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding lines and columns to a file

Hi everybody, I've got two simples file1 like: aaa aaa aaa bbb bbb bbb ccc ccc ccc and file2 like: 111 111 111 222 222 222 333 333 333 I need to: 1) add a line say "new line" as the first line of the file 2)add a column from file2 (say column3) to file1; the new column should... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text to file on certain lines with(special characters)

I need to add "new lines" of text with special characters, to specific lines in the file. There are 3 modifications needed. Been testing 2 here without success. #!/usr/bin/perl use FileHandle; $file=FileHandle->new; $FILENAME="/opt/etc/usr/file.txt"; $file->open ("<$FILENAME") or die... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: A4ron4perl
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines at a particular location in a file.

Hi Experts, Let us take a text file,say items.txt having the following data jar bottle gum tube cereal bag I want to add the content of items.txt to another file say #many lines not necessary ingredients #many line not necesary ingredients I want to append the data in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines to a large file

Hello, I have a relatively large text file (25,000K) consisting of records of data. For each record, I need to create a new line based on what is already there. Every record has a block that looks like, M END > <ID> 1 > <SOURCE> KEGG > <SOURCE_ID> C00002 > <NAME> ATP;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
curs_deleteln(3X)														 curs_deleteln(3X)

NAME
deleteln, wdeleteln, insdelln, winsdelln, insertln, winsertln - delete and insert lines in a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int deleteln(void); int wdeleteln(WINDOW *win); int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); int insertln(void); int winsertln(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The deleteln and wdeleteln routines delete the line under the cursor in the window; all lines below the current line are moved up one line. The bottom line of the window is cleared. The cursor position does not change. The insdelln and winsdelln routines, for positive n, insert n lines into the specified window above the current line. The n bottom lines are lost. For negative n, delete n lines (starting with the one under the cursor), and move the remaining lines up. The bottom n lines are cleared. The current cursor position remains the same. The insertln and winsertln routines, insert a blank line above the current line and the bottom line is lost. RETURN VALUE
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an OK (SVr4 specifies only "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful comple- tion. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. The standard specifies that they return ERR on failure, but specifies no error conditions. NOTES
Note that all but winsdelln may be macros. These routines do not require a hardware line delete or insert feature in the terminal. In fact, they won't use hardware line delete/insert unless idlok(..., TRUE) has been set on the current window. SEE ALSO
curses(3X) curs_deleteln(3X)