Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding text to a file between lines Post 302091843 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 5th of October 2006 11:03:25 AM
Old 10-05-2006
Alternative in Python:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
data = open("file").readlines()
data.insert(1,'inserted line\n')
print ''.join(data)

Output:
Code:
first line
inserted line
second line
third line

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to the end of lines containing a word

I'm new to shell scripting, and need to add a series of commands to the ends of certain lines of text that contain a keyword. Any easy way to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironwall
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding lines and columns to a file

Hi everybody, I've got two simples file1 like: aaa aaa aaa bbb bbb bbb ccc ccc ccc and file2 like: 111 111 111 222 222 222 333 333 333 I need to: 1) add a line say "new line" as the first line of the file 2)add a column from file2 (say column3) to file1; the new column should... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text to file on certain lines with(special characters)

I need to add "new lines" of text with special characters, to specific lines in the file. There are 3 modifications needed. Been testing 2 here without success. #!/usr/bin/perl use FileHandle; $file=FileHandle->new; $FILENAME="/opt/etc/usr/file.txt"; $file->open ("<$FILENAME") or die... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: A4ron4perl
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines at a particular location in a file.

Hi Experts, Let us take a text file,say items.txt having the following data jar bottle gum tube cereal bag I want to add the content of items.txt to another file say #many lines not necessary ingredients #many line not necesary ingredients I want to append the data in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines to a large file

Hello, I have a relatively large text file (25,000K) consisting of records of data. For each record, I need to create a new line based on what is already there. Every record has a block that looks like, M END > <ID> 1 > <SOURCE> KEGG > <SOURCE_ID> C00002 > <NAME> ATP;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
CYTHON(1)							   User Commands							 CYTHON(1)

NAME
Cython - compile Cython code (.pyx) into C to build a Python extension SYNOPSIS
cython [options] sourcefile.{pyx,py} ... DESCRIPTION
Cython (http://cython.org) is a compiler for code written in the Cython language. Cython is based on Pyrex by Greg Ewing. OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version number of cython compiler -l, --create-listing Write error messages to a listing file -I, --include-dir <directory> Search for include files in named directory (multiple include directories are allowed). -o, --output-file <filename> Specify name of generated C file -t, --timestamps Only compile newer source files -f, --force Compile all source files (overrides implied -t) -q, --quiet Don't print module names in recursive mode -v, --verbose Be verbose, print file names on multiple compilation -p, --embed-positions If specified, the positions in Cython files of each function definition is embedded in its docstring. --cleanup <level> Release interned objects on python exit, for memory debugging. Level indicates aggressiveness, default 0 releases nothing. -w, --working <directory> Sets the working directory for Cython (the directory modules are searched from) --gdb Output debug information for cygdb -D, --no-docstrings Strip docstrings from the compiled module. -a, --annotate Produce a colorized HTML version of the source. --line-directives Produce #line directives pointing to the .pyx source --cplus Output a C++ rather than C file. --embed[=<method_name>] Generate a main() function that embeds the Python interpreter. -2 Compile based on Python-2 syntax and code semantics. -3 Compile based on Python-3 syntax and code semantics. --fast-fail Abort the compilation on the first error --warning-error, -Werror Make all warnings into errors --warning-extra, -Wextra Enable extra warnings -X, --directive <name>=<value>[,<name=value,...] Overrides a compiler directive Cython version 0.15.1 January 2012 CYTHON(1)