Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for a Pattren in the files. Post 302091720 by anbu23 on Wednesday 4th of October 2006 09:17:34 PM
Old 10-04-2006
Code:
grep "pattern" *

Searches for pattern in all the files in the current directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with pattren Matching

I have a set of programs and there coressponding MAPSETs i tried grep on the all the programs and got the following out put from this i want to extract only the Program Name and Mapset name {i.e. the word in (' ') after MAPSET } There or some cases where u have no ( after MAPSET that need... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

negate * with in pattren matching...

Hi Every one I have a file in the following manner... AAAAAA*PERFORM WRITEQ BBDFDD*PERFOMF WRITEQ FFFF *PERFOMF WRITEQ i want to find the lines which donot have * in 7th position.. I have tried this but some problem i think... grep '......*WRITEQ' INpFIle... any 6 chars not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace pattren in file

Hi, I have the input file having data as follow: file1.txt 001 aaa_1:abcd 002 bbb_2:abcd I want output as, 001xabcd 002xabcd Here iam trying to replace "{1 space}{alphanumeric string with underscore}{:}" with characrter "x". I tried to achieve this using sed;but Iam not getting this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopalss
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search files with specfic extention and later search content

Hi, I would appriciate if somebody can help me figure out how to search for all the *.xml file under a specific directory and subdirectroies (/home/username) and later search of content "<start>" inside the xml file returned by search. -Lovin.V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovi_v
2 Replies

5. SuSE

Search all files based on first and in all listed files search the second patterns

Hello Linux Masters, I am not a linux expert therefore i need help from linux gurus. Well i have a requirement where i need to search all files based on first patterns and after seraching all files then serach second pattern in all files which i have extracted based on first pattern.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Black-Linux
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access files from different directories and to perform search action in those files?

Hi, I want to access files from different directories (for example: /home/dir1/file1 , /home/dir2/file2 ...) Like this i have to access these files(file1, file2...). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get the previous word from the search pattren

Hi, How do i find the previous worlds from the searched pattrens? Input:- Create or replace procedure some tesx. search work is procedure(case insencitive). output:- Create or replace (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasa_vs
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use sed to look for the particular pattren and convert?

Hi , How do i use sed on a tsv file and look for the date format mm/dd/yyyy and convert it to yyyy-mm-dd. There are around 15 colums in that file and two colums need to be converted. i tried using this but didnt work.Can some one tweek it. sed -e "s_\(..\)\-\(..\)\-\(..\)_\3-\1-\2_" My... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string on specific lines which match a pattren

Hi Experts, I have a file which contains a pattern multiple times i.e. matchthispattren. If a line is matched with this pattern. I want a number in 1234567890 to 123456789 in that line. (Basically remove the last digit from that number. Please help. Thanks, Varun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varun22486
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with Pattren Matching

Hi , I need to remove the lines that matches the pattern TABLEEXCLUDE *.AQ$_*_F ; * is wildcard, it can be any word. For example, I have following file: TABLEEXCLUDE THOT.AQ$_PT_ADDR_CLEANUP_QTAB2_F ; TABLEEXCLUDE THOT.AQ$_MICRO_SERVICE_QT_F ; TEST TABLEEXCLUDE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
1 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)