Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to check status of a PID Post 302091496 by zeekblack on Tuesday 3rd of October 2006 10:43:28 AM
Old 10-03-2006
Computer

thank you so very much... I HAVE search countless books and searched the entire library on www.books24x7.com and safair.orielly.com and none of then could tell me this...

i'll be a regular on this forum for sure...tks again...i'll try this method out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check exit status in awk script

Hi, I have a main program which have below lines - awk -f test.awk inputFileName - I wonder how to check status return from awk script. content of awk script: test.awk --- if ( pass validation ) { exit 1 } else { (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epall
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check exit status - Expect Script

from my main script, i am calling an expect script. there are a lot of conditions in the Expect script and it can have any exit value based on success or failure of the Expect Script. how can i check the exit status of Expect scritp in the main script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamcool
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check process running Status with PID

Good day I am fairly new to Shell Scripting. I want a script to check if a process is up by checking the process's PID and then return a value for when it's running which would be 0. If it isn't running it should give any other value that 0. Any Help is appreciated Regards (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1nsyz1on
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID status

Given a PID ( suppose 1356) . How do i tell if its running or not It would be really helpful if you could explain me .. I got this answer from google but i am unable to understand it ********************************************** Use kill() with 0 for the signal number. There are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automation, Copy, File Status Check --> Script(s)

All, I have to write a script to do the following requirement. There is a file called BUSINESS_DATE.TXT. This file get updated once the oracle partition created. In Oracle, Partition will be created every day. There is a seperate script scheduled to take care ORACLE partition creation. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_mrkg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help....script check status if see something then send email

autorep -m bogus Machine Name Max Load Current Load Factor O/S Status ___________ ________ ___________ ______ ________ ______ bogus --- --- 1.00 Sys Agent Online Status ______ Online Offline Missing Unqualified The "Status" always "Online". I like create a script execute run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the status of script for every 5 min?

Hi, Can any1 provide the code for my req: I am loading few set of files into database through one unix script. I ll try to describe the process: load_cdr-->main script Source Feeds are A & B. File in A-akm.dat File in B-bkm.dat Now my script runs through cron jobs everyday...and for both... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
6 Replies

8. Linux

Check up the status of a Script (running or not)

Hello, i allready search on google und here in the local Forum, but can't found something. I need a query in php, that check whether a process (script) is running or not. Like this: php query: /usr/bin/Script01 >> if runnig, then: "Script01 is Online", if not "Script01 is Offline" I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProTechEx
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script to check multiple jobs runninng status

Hi Folks, Please help me ,I need a unix shell script to check for multiple jobs running. if there are multiple backup Jobs running then it should be trigger an email . Thanks, Anand T (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nandu67
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check process status

Hi Team, I am using redhat 6.4 version server.We have a script which is used to check the process and sends email if the process is not running.If it is running it will continue and do some other operation. I didnot understand below option -z in the if condition.I have tried to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
5 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock -- create or verify a lock file for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock [-du] [-p PID] -f lockfile DESCRIPTION
The shlock command can create or verify a lock file on behalf of a shell or other script program. When it attempts to create a lock file, if one already exists, shlock verifies that it is or is not valid. If valid, shlock will exit with a non-zero exit code. If invalid, shlock will remove the lock file, and create a new one. shlock uses the link(2) system call to make the final target lock file, which is an atomic operation (i.e. "dot locking", so named for this mechanism's original use for locking system mailboxes). It puts the process ID ("PID") from the command line into the requested lock file. shlock verifies that an extant lock file is still valid by using kill(2) with a zero signal to check for the existence of the process that holds the lock. The -d option causes shlock to be verbose about what it is doing. The -f argument with lockfile is always required. The -p option with PID is given when the program is to create a lock file; when absent, shlock will simply check for the validity of the lock file. The -u option causes shlock to read and write the PID as a binary pid_t, instead of as ASCII, to be compatible with the locks created by UUCP. EXIT STATUS
A zero exit code indicates a valid lock file. EXAMPLES
BOURNE SHELL #!/bin/sh lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock if shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` fi C SHELL #!/bin/csh -f set lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ if ($status == 0) then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` endif The examples assume that the file system where the lock file is to be created is writable by the user, and has space available. HISTORY
shlock was written for the first Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) software distribution, released in March 1986. The algorithm was sug- gested by Peter Honeyman, from work he did on HoneyDanBer UUCP. AUTHORS
Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org> BUGS
Does not work on NFS or other network file system on different systems because the disparate systems have disjoint PID spaces. Cannot handle the case where a lock file was not deleted, the process that created it has exited, and the system has created a new process with the same PID as in the dead lock file. The lock file will appear to be valid even though the process is unrelated to the one that cre- ated the lock in the first place. Always remove your lock files after you're done. BSD
June 29, 1997 BSD