Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 will not Boot Properly Post 302091400 by chungste on Monday 2nd of October 2006 04:40:36 PM
Old 10-02-2006
Solaris 10 will not Boot Properly

I am running Solaris 10 on a SPARC Sun Enterprise 420R server. It was working properly, when there was a problem with the power and it shut off without a proper shutdown.

When I boot I get the following error:

Code:
Error: svc:/system/filesystem/root:default failed to mount /boot (see 'svcs -x' for details)
[ system/filesystem/root:default failed fatally (see 'svcs -x' for details) ]
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
Console login service(s) cannot run

I then enter in my root password for system maintenance. When I run svcs -x, this is the output:

Code:
svc:/system/filesystem/root:default (root file system mount)
Reason: Start method exited with $SMF_EXIT_ERR_FATAL
see: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-KS
see: /etc/svc/volatile/system-filesystem-root:default.log
Impact: 44 dependent services are not running.  (use -v for list.)

svc:/network/rpc/gss:default (Generic Security Service)
State: uninitialized since Sat......
Reason: Restarter svc:network/inetd:default is not running
See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-5H
See: gssd(1M)
Impact: 10 dependent services are not running.  (Use -v for list)

svc:/application/print/server:default (LP print server)
State: disabled since Sat Sep 30.....
Reason: Disabled by an administrator
See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-05
See: lpsched(1M)
Impact: 1 dependent service is not running.  (Use -V for list)

The output for svcs -v is too long to type out here, but it lists all the dependent services, I presume.

The content of the file /etc/svc/volatile/system-filesystem-root:default.log is:

Code:
[start + 1.91s Enabled. ]
[start + 2.87s Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/fs-root") ]
ERROR: /sbin/mount  -F ufs /boot failed, err=1
mount: Mount point cannot be determined
[ start + 3.12s Method "start" exited with status 95 ]

When I try to run /sbin/mount -F ufs /boot from the command prompt itself, I get a similar error... Mount point cannot be determined.

I have also tried running the command /sbin/mount -a which seems to work in terms of mounting the entire filesystem. At that point I can browse all data, but have no idea how to get the services started and server fully booted.

I have fun fsck and it runs completely with no prompts or errors.

Here is also a copy of my /etc/vfstab:

Code:
#device to mount     #device to fsck     mount point     FS type     fsck pass    mount at boot       mount options

fs     -     /dev/fs     fs     -     no     -
/proc     -     /proc     proc     -     no     -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1     -     -     swap     -     no     -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0     /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0     /     ufs     1    no     -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5     /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5    /usr    ufs    1    no     -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4     /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4    /var/   ufs     1     no     -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7     /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7    /export/home     ufs     2     yes     -
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3     /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3     /opt     ufs     2     yes     -
/devices     -    /devices     devfs     -    no    -
ctfs     -     /system/contract     ctfs     -     no     -
objfs     -     /system/object    objfs     -    no     -
swap     -     /tmp     tmpfs     -    yes     -
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0     /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0     /data     ufs     1     yes     -

Sorry for the formatting, I had to type it out since I can't get any files directly off of the server.

The last entry in the vfstab file is the only entry I added myself. It is a secondary hard disk that I mounted to the directory /data. Everything else was automatically created at install according to the partitions that I defined.

Any ideas Solaris experts?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot Solaris 8

Greetings, I have learned much since joining the message board, but I was unable to locate any information concerning dual booting Solaris with Windows on a machine with standardized equipment. I have read on the sun.com page that it is possible and can even be pushed to the rear partition, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TStoddard
3 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Network doesn't work properly

Hi to all! I want to learn step by step easily how to configure my Solaris for network. I know alot about Solaris Network configuration. But I have some problems. When I install Solaris, and I plug-in my network cable to Solaris. Then I run: ifconfig -a plumb then I do ifconfig bge0 dhcp... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SecureXCode
7 Replies

4. Solaris

cant boot from solaris CD

Hi all , I am trying to isntallsolaris 10 using a DVD , But when i try to boot from the OB Prompt i am getting this error : Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -install Boot device: /pci@1f,700000/pci@0/pci@1/pci@0/ide@1f/cdrom@0,0:f File and args: -install Can't read disk label. Can't open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris in a SAN BOOT

My current situation is like this, I have a v440 connected to a netapp central storage 3140 via fiber channel, my OS and oracle is installed in the internal drive of the v440. What I would like to do is to advertise another LUN in netapp to the v440 and let my v440 boot from it so I can start... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

7. Solaris

dual boot solaris/solaris zfs file system

Hi, I am running into a some problems creating a dual boot system of 2 solaris instances using ZFS file system and I was wondering if someone can help me out. First some back ground. I have been asked to change the file system of our server from UFS to ZFS. Currently we are using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estammis
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed script not working properly on Solaris (works fine on AIX)?

Hi, I have a problem with a SED script that works fine on AIX but does not work properly on a Solaris system. The ksh script executes the SED and puts the output in HTML in tables. But the layout of the output in HTML is not shown correctly(no tables, no color). Can anyone tell if there is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Faith111
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11.2 doesn't boot

Hi, one of my server won't boot. I restarted system while sysconfig configure was running. I can't boot into normal user mode. I always get error svc:/system/config-user:default is in maintenance mode and some lib exists with status 95. I tried to boot into single user mode and to clear this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris stuck during boot after reconfigure boot

Hello, I have a problem with my machine that won't boot properly. The story is that I installed a software called apcupsd, which is a control application for my APC battery UPS. I have used version 3.14.10 earlier, but as part of restoring my previously crashed os harddrive I wanted to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorken
18 Replies