Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Some basic questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Some basic questions Post 302091392 by vgersh99 on Monday 2nd of October 2006 03:03:07 PM
Old 10-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688

You can tell what shell you're in like this:
Code:
$ echo "${SHELL}"
/bin/bash
$

no, this doesn't work.
Code:
$ echo $0
-bash
$ echo $SHELL
/usr/local/bin/bash
$ csh
>echo $0
csh
>echo $SHELL
/usr/local/bin/bash
>

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Basic networking questions.

Hey, I'm new to Linux. I have a few questions about it. I run Slackware. After the installation the Linux installation had problems with my old hardware (network card, sound card) so I removed them and Linux would start. But now, I can't seem to use the network card in Linux because it's not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RellioN
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic UNIX questions

Can somebody please tell me a little about UNIX OS. For instance, is it ideal for digital media or how easy is it to get help and support? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buk5d
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic SFTP questions

I'm trying to find out what all is involved with setting up SFTP? 1) Do Solaris machines come with a SFTP server and client already installed. 2) If so would I have to install SFTP clients on windows, if I want to transfer files to a Solaris box? 3) If SFTP doesn't come prepackaged would I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JohnRodey
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix Questions

OK, here's a question from a true UNIX newb: How does one make a 20 line file? I'm lost. :confused: OK, I figured it out. :D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kitchen Zinc
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic variable questions

when you see something like this export SOMEDATA=.:/somedir/files what does the ".:" mean? I think the the "." alone would mean current directory but the ":" together is kind of new to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp-ux basic questions

I have multiple questions How to list or find only Nov month's files? How can I get state of process like running, stop, or sleep etc? How can I check dependences of processes? plz ans any if u can thx regards, Mazhar Hussain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

some basic questions about unix ..

Hi all today i gone through worst interview of my life that for hour questions were so basic but i never though about them now i am figuring out answers my self but i would appreciate if you ppl help me ... i am listing some of the questions i remember .. 1 ) $ cat a.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
4 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris 10 and a few basic questions

hello, first, I'm quite new to solaris. I've installed solaris 10 basic (item 4 on the install-menue). now I had to realize that I don't have any option for connecting the machine from remote. ssh isn't even installed although I've coosed 'yes' for remote access. no matter what solaris is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fourty2
10 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)