Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: the printf command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting the printf command Post 302091281 by nathan on Sunday 1st of October 2006 12:40:14 AM
Old 10-01-2006
just a clarification

Quote:
/etc/passwd is the command interpreter which is
supposed to be run when a user logs in. and i believe that if a wrong password is entered then it is supposed to have /bin/false in the last field.
This isn't quite how it works. The /etc/passwd file isn't a command interpreter, it's just a plain text file in UNIX, although a very important one. The login command checks the file (and possibly /etc/shadow, or /etc/security/passwd) to verify that the username and password entered are correct. It also looks at the home directory and the shell. If you enter the correct userid & password, it will drop you into your home directory and execute the shell listed in the passwd file. If you enter an incorrect password, /bin/false is not executed, but the program "login" will itself deny access to the system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf command

I want to make a logfile with error messages, like this: (collumms: CUSTNR DATE TIME ERROR MESSAGE) 102 20020807 135417 1 Uptime server is more than 6 months 5 20020808 111335 3 Backup not Ok! 2001 20020808 120428 6 Free space at server1 is less than 20% etcetera I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FIRE
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with printf command

Hi How could I use the command printf to display a big file. So ex. I've a script with some variables like: V1=358504 V2=FD0147 V3=dev5 V4=94577 V5=0 V6=UNIX V7=Policy V8=server V9=04/15/05 V10=19:18:41 V11=2341321467 while read V1 V2 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 V11 do printf "\n%s %s %s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nymus7
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf command in ksh

Hi, I am very confused with my printf command. Somehow one variable can't line up with others... newstart2 ="Mon Nov 11 01 00:00:00 2002" printf "%-20s" $newstart2 Here is the output: Mon Nov 11 01 00:00:00 2002 It spread out to two lines.. Why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cin2000
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printf unix command

Where would I get a good explanation for all the possibities when using the "printf" unix commmand. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1184jap
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf command

Hi, I a sequance number from 1-999 and i want asing the value like 001,002..999 Exp: file_001 file_002 file_003... file_999 How can i disaplay the sequnace number as mention above. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK printf command question

Hi, I am using below awk code to convert a csv file data into fixed file format. awk 'BEGIN { FS = "," fmt = "%10s%010d%10s%d%1d\n" } NR>1 { printf fmt, $1, $2, $3, $4*100, $5 }' /data/mydata.csv > /data/fixed.dat Data in mydata.csv ================... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kbmkris
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printf command question

Hi, I am using below awk code to convert a csv file data into fixed file format. awk 'BEGIN { FS = "," fmt = "%10s%010d%10s%d%1d\n" } NR>1 { printf fmt, $1, $2, $3, $4*100, $5 }' /data/mydata.csv > /data/fixed.dat Data in mydata.csv ================... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbmkris
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the difference between print and printf in command?

For example, in this command: ls /etc/rc0.d/ -print ls /etc/rc0.d/ -printfThe outputs are quite different, why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with printf command

hello, I'm trying to display Unix variable using printf command. Code: awk '{ if ( $0 ~ /string/ ) { printf( "%s\n%s\n",$0,"dsd"); #this one works printf( "%s\n%s\n",$0,$HOME); #this does not work } else { print $0; } }' param1_1.txt I could use here echo command but I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bipbip
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Printf command , a little more dynamic..

A big hello to everyone tagged to this site of knowledge . This is the first post of mine and I am looking forward to an enjoyable stint in this forum where I get to know a lot of new ideas and share whatever knowledge (its not much though :) ) I have acquired throughout my career so far with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
4 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)