Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign the returned value of a function to a variable Post 302091052 by trivektor on Thursday 28th of September 2006 05:41:33 PM
Old 09-28-2006
Assign the returned value of a function to a variable

Hi,

Can anyone please show me how to assign the returned value of a function to a variable? Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve a value from a function and assign it to a variable

hi i have a function. parse() { qname="lpdma111" qmgr="lpdma111" qalias="lpqqali" } Now the requirement is i want ot get the vaues form the function start() { //retireve the values from the parse function } (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to a variable with row(using -n) returned by sed

Hi Friends, REQUIREMENT: Want to delete files from the current directory match with the same in the file test.txt set -x i=1 echo "i=$i" COUNT=`sed -n '$=' test.txt` echo "Count=$COUNT" while do "## Here is error##" FILETOREMOVE=`sed -n \'$i,1p\' test.txt` echo $FILETOREMOVE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check variable value when nothing is returned

Hi all, I am wondering how can I check when a variable has nothing returned in it. I am trying to store a pid in this variable to see if a script is running in the background. So I am using something like that proc_pid=`ps -ef |grep script.sh|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'` if then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geovas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring a returned function value

Hello, I have something that should be very simple yet I am losing my head in figuring out how to get it to work: I am calling a function passing a parameter, this will return a particular string, next I want to substring the returned value and break it apart. All of this I want to do on a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
lassign(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							lassign(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lassign - Assign list elements to variables SYNOPSIS
lassign list varName ?varName ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command treats the value list as a list and assigns successive elements from that list to the variables given by the varName arguments in order. If there are more variable names than list elements, the remaining variables are set to the empty string. If there are more list elements than variables, a list of unassigned elements is returned. EXAMPLES
An illustration of how multiple assignment works, and what happens when there are either too few or too many elements. lassign {a b c} x y z ;# Empty return puts $x ;# Prints "a" puts $y ;# Prints "b" puts $z ;# Prints "c" lassign {d e} x y z ;# Empty return puts $x ;# Prints "d" puts $y ;# Prints "e" puts $z ;# Prints "" lassign {f g h i} x y ;# Returns "h i" puts $x ;# Prints "f" puts $y ;# Prints "g" The lassign command has other uses. It can be used to create the analogue of the "shift" command in many shell languages like this: set ::argv [lassign $::argv argumentToReadOff] SEE ALSO
lindex(n), list(n), lset(n), set(n) KEYWORDS
assign, element, list, multiple, set, variable Tcl 8.5 lassign(n)