Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to see all file in a current directory Post 302090706 by Yogesh Sawant on Wednesday 27th of September 2006 03:47:10 AM
Old 09-27-2006
seems like there are too many files in that directory and the Operating System ran out of memory when sorting the list of files.
Try ls -f instead.
Or you may have to solve the memory problem at kernel level.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Finding largest file in current directory?

I was hoping to get some assistance with this C program I am working on. The goal is to find the largest file in the current directory and then display this filename along with the filesize. What I have so far will display all the files in the current directory. But, how do I deal with "grabbing"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AusTex
1 Replies

2. Solaris

check the current date file in directory

Hi, I am making a script which check the directory and if there is today date file, it is showing message file is there for today date . 1) filename is accessline.win.$timestamp example ;-accessline.win.200712211004 2) On monday i have recieved two file in this directory with current... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the list of 5 largest file in current directory?

Hello, How to find the list of 5 largest(size wise) file in current directory?i tried using ls -l | sort -t " " -r +5 -6 -n | head -5 but this is not giving correct output as ls -l command gives 1 extra line of output that is how many total files are there!so by running the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

An Issue with the script which used to remove a file from the current directory.

Hello forum members, I am writing a script to two tasks. 1: displaying the list of the files in the current directory. 2: removing the specifed file from the list. I have written a sample script ,so can u please verfiy and correct. echo Enter list of files ls *.txt read textfile rm -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
3 Replies

6. Programming

help with printing file names in current directory for C

How do I print all the file names in current directory in C? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory

I would need a command for finding first 15000 of the file names whose 25th postion is 5 in the current directory alone. I do have this painful command find . -name '5*' | head -15000 | cut -c3- please refine this. Of course the above command also searches in the sub directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to back up a bunch of files on a directory and save that file as the current date....

this is what i have to find the files modified within the past 24 hours find . -mtime -1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 tar rvf "$archive.tar" however i need to save/name this archive as the current date (MM-DD,YYYY.tar.gz) how do i doo this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bugenhagen_
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing file size in current directory

What is the command line for viewing the sizes(lines and bytes)of all the files in your present working directory? Is it >ls -la (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Payton2704
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete .txt file from current directory

I have created few text file during run time by redirecting the txt file echo USER_LIST_"$(date '+%d%h%Y')".csv > report_location.txt report_location.txt is creating in the same location where I run script home/script When I try to remove the txt file at the end of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
3 Replies
ppmquantall(1)						      General Commands Manual						    ppmquantall(1)

NAME
ppmquantall - run ppmquant on a bunch of files all at once, so they share a common colormap SYNOPSIS
ppmquantall [-ext extension] ncolors ppmfile ... DESCRIPTION
Takes a bunch of portable pixmap as input. Chooses ncolors colors to best represent all of the images, maps the existing colors to the new ones, and overwrites the input files with the new quantized versions. If you don't want to overwrite your input files, use the -ext option. The output files are then named the same as the input files, plus a period and the extension text you specify. Verbose explanation: Let's say you've got a dozen pixmaps that you want to display on the screen all at the same time. Your screen can only display 256 different colors, but the pixmaps have a total of a thousand or so different colors. For a single pixmap you solve this problem with ppmquant; this script solves it for multiple pixmaps. All it does is concatenate them together into one big pixmap, run ppmquant on that, and then split it up into little pixmaps again. (Note that another way to solve this problem is to pre-select a set of colors and then use ppmquant's -map option to separately quantize each pixmap to that set.) SEE ALSO
ppmquant(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. 27 July 1990 ppmquantall(1)