Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers list largest files in a directory & its subdirectories Post 302090398 by igidttam on Monday 25th of September 2006 11:11:37 AM
Old 09-25-2006
Thanks Jim! This works, but only gives me the largest files in that directory [in my example the /cep directory]. I'm also looking for the largest files within each of the subdirectories of that directory. For example, I want the 10 largest files of some directory and the 10 largest files of each subdirectory under that directory. How do I do that?

Thanks,
igidttam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

find the 5o largest files in a directory

I'm trying to find the 50 largest file in a directory named /sasdb and its' subdirectories. I'm using the find command and a pipe to awk Not sure if I'm actually getting the largest files from this directory and its subdirectories. Here is the code I used... find /sasdb -ls | awk '{print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the list of 5 largest file in current directory?

Hello, How to find the list of 5 largest(size wise) file in current directory?i tried using ls -l | sort -t " " -r +5 -6 -n | head -5 but this is not giving correct output as ls -l command gives 1 extra line of output that is how many total files are there!so by running the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to find largest files in a directory

What is the best way to find the largest files in a directory? I used du -k|sort -rn |less. I got a results for this. But if I used the following command , I got another result...a different order in the same directory. Why is that? ls -la |awk '{print $5," ",$9}' sort -rn|less. I saw that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list largest files

hi all, i want to list the five largest files in current directory ... . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search & list subdirectories with the given file name

Question: How to search & list subdirectories with the given file name? For example: The directory structure looks like; /Builds/DEV/Build_RL01/DDL/ a_tbl_cre.sql ...... /Builds/DEV/Build_RL01/DML/ a_upd.sql .... .... Requirements: 1. I need to find subdirectory DML which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old then remove

I need to write a script to : list files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old, save it in a file and then remove (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lena keung
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies
XMKMF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XMKMF(1)

NAME
xmkmf - create a Makefile from an Imakefile SYNOPSIS
xmkmf [ -a ] [ topdir [ curdir ] ] DESCRIPTION
The xmkmf command is the normal way to create a Makefile from an Imakefile shipped with third-party software. When invoked with no arguments in a directory containing an Imakefile, the imake program is run with arguments appropriate for your system (configured into xmkmf when X was built) and generates a Makefile. When invoked with the -a option, xmkmf builds the Makefile in the current directory, and then automatically executes ``make Makefiles'' (in case there are subdirectories), ``make includes'', and ``make depend'' for you. This is the normal way to configure software that is out- side the X Consortium build tree. If working inside the X Consortium build tree (unlikely unless you are an X developer, and even then this option is never really used), the topdir argument should be specified as the relative pathname from the current directory to the top of the build tree. Optionally, curdir may be specified as a relative pathname from the top of the build tree to the current directory. It is necessary to supply curdir if the current directory has subdirectories, or the Makefile will not be able to build the subdirectories. If a topdir is given, xmkmf assumes nothing is installed on your system and looks for files in the build tree instead of using the installed versions. SEE ALSO
imake(1) XFree86 Version 4.7.0 XMKMF(1)