Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Firewall Implimentation - Recomendations Post 302090086 by pathological on Friday 22nd of September 2006 10:40:10 AM
Old 09-22-2006
We use MS EXchange and Active Directory *Cries*. We have Norton 9 Pro on the exchange server which does active scans of workstations throughout the network as well as in coming e-mails. We have recently had the Firewall scan all incoming traffic for certain types of files. We made the scan inclusive for certain common file types example Excell. No excel files of ANY sort get in unless they fit the rules.

When i said "Statics are more important" i am sorry i meant Statistics are more important.

Anyway, so that image is an idea of how it should all be run then? Now to give you an idea of our rack setup... *cries some more*.

To give you an idea of our topology...

we have 1 server rack. with 20 servers (Various sizes) which all plug directly into our Switch stacks.

Our switches hehe. we have 8 patch panels with 24 ports each, these plug directly into the switch stack as well. we have 3 fiber boxes which connect the back (warehouse) to the front, and int he back we have more switches and work stations we are running off of. I can create a visio quick diagram of our server rack and switch/modem stack if that would help with the advice in setup. I will start working on one, it won't take long, and i am sure it would help everyone understand things a bit better.

Question... i am assuming that if OpenBSD 1 fails, signal is still coming from OpenBSD 2, which will allow the network to remain online. Obviously if Hardare firealla fails it all goes down, but nothing we can do about that at presant. And when you say switch 1 and 2 that is just generic names, since they are all on the 2 network right? No matter how we look at it, there is redundat signal coming in PAST the first hardware firewall point. (Looks good, nice and clean).

BTW i like the cloud :-P

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

What Firewall do you use?

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of people here use Linux IPTables as their firewall. Anyone here use something else like OpenBSD PF or *BSD IPF, IPFW? I'm quite fond of OpenBSD and their Packet Filters. I find their syntax much easier to manage and from my personal experience, I find them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarballed
5 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Looking Out from Behind a Firewall

Would it be possible to restrict access to internet pages in the following way? A machine: IP = 128.1.17.123 Only pages from domains of the type "go.jp" and "ne.jp" are viewable. All others are not viewable or only partly viewable. B machine: IP = 128.1.17.146 Regardless of the domain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mntamago
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Firewall Box

I am a novice to linux and unix and command line, I am willing to jump in head first. I have a couple older computers, one is a dell XPS with a P2 Proccessor and th other is a old old sony VIAO. I have a small home network 3 computers...i have my DSL modem then thats connected to my wireless... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tabryan07
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

crone job implimentation

I wanted to enable one shell script in the cronetab,how to do crone tabe enabling pl help me:( regards, ramesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

help with firewall

hi everyone I am a newbee to firewall scripting. cannot understand how to write rules per host. in ip6tables. anyone plz:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xecutioner
2 Replies

6. AIX

Firewall

:b:Hi,, How do configure firewall in aix.. similar to linux iptable. Rgards, k.sumathi. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

7. SuSE

Firewall

Is there a command line interface to the firewall? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies

8. Linux

Firewall?

Dear All I have put my windows machine behind my centos firewall server with just one NIC. At now, the windows machine can ping 192.9.9.3 but cannot resolve valid url (like www.google.com). I have set DNS for it as well. Can you please let me know what is the missing step? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Firewall

Hey Guys, I am looking for a good firewall software to implement in medium/large office, with at least 150 users. I was hopping you guys could help me on this one. Regards, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevicente
4 Replies
GUESSNET-SCAN(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  GUESSNET-SCAN(8)

NAME
guessnet-scan - guess network configuration data by looking at network traffic SYNOPSIS
guessnet-scan [options] [ethernet_interface] DESCRIPTION
Guessnet-scan tries to deduce network configuration data by watching network traffic at a given Ethernet interface. After scanning network traffic for some time, guessnet-scan prints a configuration string suitable for inclusion in /etc/network/inter- faces. Note that guessnet-scan uses heuristics and wild guesses and that the resulting data is not guaranteed to be accurate. The program is intended to be used as a first try at getting network configuration data without bothering anyone. OPTIONS
Options follow the usual GNU conventions, --debug Print debugging messages. --help Show a brief summary of commandline options. --init-time=int Time in seconds to wait for the interface to initialize when it is not found already up at program startup. Default: 3 seconds. -t, --timeout=int Time in seconds to watch for network traffic. Default: 5 seconds. -v, --verbose Operate verbosely. --version Show the version number of the program. SCANNING REQUIREMENTS
To correctly identify all data of the local network, guessnet-scan needs to see traffic related to a host in the local network and to the local gateway, if any. To be able to identify the network gateway, guessnet-scan also needs to see some traffic directed to the external network: you can help the detection by generating some outbound IP traffic during the scan, for example by browsing a web page (without proxy) or using telnet to open a connection to some remote host. Note that if you are connected to a switch, guessnet-scan won't probably be able to work, since the switch will isolate it from the network traffic that the other machines are generating. SEE ALSO
guessnet(8), interfaces(5). AUTHOR
Guessnet-scan was written by Enrico Zini <enrico@debian.org>. 10 October 2004 GUESSNET-SCAN(8)