Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Firewall Implimentation - Recomendations Post 302090063 by DraconianTimes on Friday 22nd of September 2006 08:53:05 AM
Old 09-22-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathological
We will have the internet coming through to the modem which will proceed to the Firewall (Hardware) then fomr there to the UNIX Firewall server, then out to the network. So i will need to figure out how to route, have the signal come in on eth0 and then go back out on eth1. Then setup my rules in between.
Without wanting to start a flame war, for what you have described I would use OpenBSD, not FreeBSD. OpenBSD has an excellent track record for security, and it comes with a built-in firewall called "pf" which is highly configurable and allows all manner of traffic manipulation. OpenBSD is free to download and runs on many architectures including i386 and sparc. To enable routing on an OpenBSD box, read this.

OpenBSD Project Homepage
OpenBSD FAQ
OpenBSD pf FAQ

Can you clarify your network config? Is it really:

INTERNET -> Modem -> Hardware Firewall -> New Firewall -> LAN ?

If you're going to be doing any hosting or public access boxes (e.g. web server) these should be situated between your two firewalls in a DMZ or alternatively hand off a seperate interface.

HTH
Nick

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

What Firewall do you use?

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of people here use Linux IPTables as their firewall. Anyone here use something else like OpenBSD PF or *BSD IPF, IPFW? I'm quite fond of OpenBSD and their Packet Filters. I find their syntax much easier to manage and from my personal experience, I find them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarballed
5 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Looking Out from Behind a Firewall

Would it be possible to restrict access to internet pages in the following way? A machine: IP = 128.1.17.123 Only pages from domains of the type "go.jp" and "ne.jp" are viewable. All others are not viewable or only partly viewable. B machine: IP = 128.1.17.146 Regardless of the domain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mntamago
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Firewall Box

I am a novice to linux and unix and command line, I am willing to jump in head first. I have a couple older computers, one is a dell XPS with a P2 Proccessor and th other is a old old sony VIAO. I have a small home network 3 computers...i have my DSL modem then thats connected to my wireless... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tabryan07
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

crone job implimentation

I wanted to enable one shell script in the cronetab,how to do crone tabe enabling pl help me:( regards, ramesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

help with firewall

hi everyone I am a newbee to firewall scripting. cannot understand how to write rules per host. in ip6tables. anyone plz:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xecutioner
2 Replies

6. AIX

Firewall

:b:Hi,, How do configure firewall in aix.. similar to linux iptable. Rgards, k.sumathi. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

7. SuSE

Firewall

Is there a command line interface to the firewall? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies

8. Linux

Firewall?

Dear All I have put my windows machine behind my centos firewall server with just one NIC. At now, the windows machine can ping 192.9.9.3 but cannot resolve valid url (like www.google.com). I have set DNS for it as well. Can you please let me know what is the missing step? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Firewall

Hey Guys, I am looking for a good firewall software to implement in medium/large office, with at least 150 users. I was hopping you guys could help me on this one. Regards, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevicente
4 Replies
fwb_ipfw(1)							 Firewall Builder						       fwb_ipfw(1)

NAME
fwb_ipfw - Policy compiler for ipfw SYNOPSIS
fwb_ipfw [-vVx] [-d wdir] [-o output.fw] [-i] -f data_file.xml object_name DESCRIPTION
fwb_ipfw is a firewall policy compiler component of Firewall Builder (see fwbuilder(1)). This compiler generates code for ipfw - a firewall and traffic shaper in FreeBSD (see ipfw(8)). Compiler reads objects definitions and firewall description from the data file specified with "-f" option and generates firewall configuration and activation script. The generated file has a name that starts with the name of the firewall object, with an extension ".fw". It is a shell script that flushes current policy, then loads new filter and nat rules. The data file and the name of the firewall objects must be specified on the command line. Other command line parameters are optional. OPTIONS
-f FILE Specify the name of the data file to be processed. -o output.fw Specify output file name -d wdir Specify working directory. Compiler creates firewall activation script in this directory. If this parameter is missing, then all files will be placed in the current working directory. -v Be verbose: compiler prints diagnostic messages when it works. -V Print version number and quit. -i When this option is present, the last argument on the command line is supposed to be firewall object ID rather than its name -x Generate debugging information while working. This option is intended for debugging only and may produce lots of cryptic messages. NOTES
Support for ipfw was added in version 1.0.10 of Firewall Builder URL
Firewall Builder home page is located at the following URL: http://www.fwbuilder.org/ BUGS
Please report bugs using bug tracking system on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5314&atid=105314 SEE ALSO
fwbuilder(1), fwb_ipt(1), fwb_pf(1) fwb_ipf(1) FWB
fwb_ipfw(1)