Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to run script at background Post 302090046 by Dhruva on Friday 22nd of September 2006 06:29:40 AM
Old 09-22-2006
yes and instead of using in current shell change the file permission writable
-rwx.....
and run
Code:
nohup script &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set schedule to run a script at background while logout

Hi, How can I run a script at 9:00am and 6:00pm everyday? Can I run it at background while I logout my account? Please help!! Many Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there away to run script in background within the script

Hello all i have csh script called test.csh , and i need to run it in the background so i do : test.csh & but i wander can i tell within the script source to run it in the background automatically , without giving the user to add the "&" when executing in the shell ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Best practice to run bash script in background

nohup /bin/bassh $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & nohup $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & Which is the good practice to run a script in background of above two ? does the first one will have any overhead on the system ? our system is SunOS 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmasals
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script in the background with a time interval

I have a script I want to run in the background, and I have looked it up but I am not exactly sure how to do. First of all to run it in the background do you have to put something in the script or is it just a command when you go to run it. I found this solution to it but once again I am not to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauler123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script does not work if run in background

Dear All, I am trying to run a script in background like ./scriptname.sh & but when i try to run it in background it is giving me an error "syntax error at line 12: `(' unexpected" at the line 12, there is a function definition "function getFileList()". This script runs fine if i run on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run the script in background, but having a problem

hi, we have a script which runs for the whole day and whenever the job fails, will send an alert to the mailbox. My problem here is that i need to give the jobname dynamically which is not possible if we run the script in background. Pls help me with this. Thanks Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run wineconsole in background

Hello everybody, I'm making a script for running a .bat process on wineconsole, but I want that wineconsole doesn't show up when I call it from the script. The script is named "reset" and it looks like this: When I execute it, it will show up the wineconsole window on top, and that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taurokpo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command in background thru script

Dear All, Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished. I have tried like below, `truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &` But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run scripts in background one by one

Hello all, Can someone help with one script? I have as example 3 scripts 1.sh sleep 60 & sleep 60 & sleep 10 & sleep 80 & sleep 60 & 2.sh sleep 40 & sleep 5 & sleep 10 & sleep 70 & sleep 60 & 3.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
2 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
command [arguments] DESCRIPTION
executes command with hangups and quits ignored. If output is not redirected by the user, both standard output and standard error are sent to If is not writable in the current directory, output is redirected to otherwise, fails. If a file is created, the file's permission bits will be set to If output from is redirected to a terminal, or is not redirected at all, the output is sent to EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
It is frequently desirable to apply to pipelines or lists of commands. This can be done only by placing pipelines and command lists in a single file, called a shell script. To run the script using features apply to the entire contents of file. If the shell script file is to be executed often, the need to type can be eliminated by setting execute permission on file. The script can also be run in the background with interrupts ignored (see sh(1)): file typically contains normal keyboard command sequences that one would want to continue running in case the terminal disconnects, such as: WARNINGS
Be careful to place punctuation properly. For example, in the command form: applies only to command1. To correct the problem, use the command form: Be careful of where standard error is redirected. The following command may put error messages on tape, making it unreadable: whereas puts the error messages into file EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The command specified by command was found but could not be invoked An error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified command could not be found Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of the command specified. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), nice(1), sh(1), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nohup(1)