Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to run script at background Post 302090041 by happyv on Friday 22nd of September 2006 06:09:08 AM
Old 09-22-2006
you mean:
nohup .script &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set schedule to run a script at background while logout

Hi, How can I run a script at 9:00am and 6:00pm everyday? Can I run it at background while I logout my account? Please help!! Many Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there away to run script in background within the script

Hello all i have csh script called test.csh , and i need to run it in the background so i do : test.csh & but i wander can i tell within the script source to run it in the background automatically , without giving the user to add the "&" when executing in the shell ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Best practice to run bash script in background

nohup /bin/bassh $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & nohup $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & Which is the good practice to run a script in background of above two ? does the first one will have any overhead on the system ? our system is SunOS 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmasals
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script in the background with a time interval

I have a script I want to run in the background, and I have looked it up but I am not exactly sure how to do. First of all to run it in the background do you have to put something in the script or is it just a command when you go to run it. I found this solution to it but once again I am not to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauler123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script does not work if run in background

Dear All, I am trying to run a script in background like ./scriptname.sh & but when i try to run it in background it is giving me an error "syntax error at line 12: `(' unexpected" at the line 12, there is a function definition "function getFileList()". This script runs fine if i run on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run the script in background, but having a problem

hi, we have a script which runs for the whole day and whenever the job fails, will send an alert to the mailbox. My problem here is that i need to give the jobname dynamically which is not possible if we run the script in background. Pls help me with this. Thanks Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run wineconsole in background

Hello everybody, I'm making a script for running a .bat process on wineconsole, but I want that wineconsole doesn't show up when I call it from the script. The script is named "reset" and it looks like this: When I execute it, it will show up the wineconsole window on top, and that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taurokpo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command in background thru script

Dear All, Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished. I have tried like below, `truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &` But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run scripts in background one by one

Hello all, Can someone help with one script? I have as example 3 scripts 1.sh sleep 60 & sleep 60 & sleep 10 & sleep 80 & sleep 60 & 2.sh sleep 40 & sleep 5 & sleep 10 & sleep 70 & sleep 60 & 3.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
2 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup utility [arg ...] DESCRIPTION
The nohup command allows the specified utility to be protected from termination if the user should become logged out (for example, due to a modem line or TCP/IP connection being dropped). To do this, nohup sets the SIGHUP signal(3) (``terminal line hangup'') to be ignored, then executes utility along with any arguments. If the standard output is a terminal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, nohup attempts to create the file in the user's home directory. If the file nohup.out cannot be created, either in the current directory or the user's home directory, nohup will exit without invoking utility, with an exit value as described below. ENVIRONMENT
The following variable is used by nohup. HOME User's home directory. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
July 15, 2005 BSD