Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to run script at background Post 302090035 by happyv on Friday 22nd of September 2006 05:43:13 AM
Old 09-22-2006
how to run script at background

Hi all,

I have a script like:

echo Please input list file name:
read listn
for file in `cat $listn.txt`
do
send_file $file
done

normally, I will run the script like:
:. resendfile
Please input list filename:
list1

#Then, the script will resend all file from the list1. However, the list1 over 1000 file need to send. Can I run this at background and I don't need to keep the window open?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set schedule to run a script at background while logout

Hi, How can I run a script at 9:00am and 6:00pm everyday? Can I run it at background while I logout my account? Please help!! Many Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there away to run script in background within the script

Hello all i have csh script called test.csh , and i need to run it in the background so i do : test.csh & but i wander can i tell within the script source to run it in the background automatically , without giving the user to add the "&" when executing in the shell ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Best practice to run bash script in background

nohup /bin/bassh $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & nohup $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & Which is the good practice to run a script in background of above two ? does the first one will have any overhead on the system ? our system is SunOS 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmasals
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script in the background with a time interval

I have a script I want to run in the background, and I have looked it up but I am not exactly sure how to do. First of all to run it in the background do you have to put something in the script or is it just a command when you go to run it. I found this solution to it but once again I am not to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauler123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script does not work if run in background

Dear All, I am trying to run a script in background like ./scriptname.sh & but when i try to run it in background it is giving me an error "syntax error at line 12: `(' unexpected" at the line 12, there is a function definition "function getFileList()". This script runs fine if i run on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run the script in background, but having a problem

hi, we have a script which runs for the whole day and whenever the job fails, will send an alert to the mailbox. My problem here is that i need to give the jobname dynamically which is not possible if we run the script in background. Pls help me with this. Thanks Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run wineconsole in background

Hello everybody, I'm making a script for running a .bat process on wineconsole, but I want that wineconsole doesn't show up when I call it from the script. The script is named "reset" and it looks like this: When I execute it, it will show up the wineconsole window on top, and that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taurokpo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command in background thru script

Dear All, Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished. I have tried like below, `truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &` But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run scripts in background one by one

Hello all, Can someone help with one script? I have as example 3 scripts 1.sh sleep 60 & sleep 60 & sleep 10 & sleep 80 & sleep 60 & 2.sh sleep 40 & sleep 5 & sleep 10 & sleep 70 & sleep 60 & 3.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
2 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)