Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: comparing two strings
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comparing two strings Post 302089774 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 20th of September 2006 05:56:48 PM
Old 09-20-2006
I really don't have much time to debug tthis, but you could start [as suggested] by putting the 'set -x' at the top of your script and see what gets executed and how things get 'compared'.

Good luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparing strings

I have two strings a=Mar22 b=may21 how can I compare them Is this fine if then; . ... else .... fi or if then (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakyaj
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Two Strings

Hi All, While I am trying to run below code I Am getting the exception like ./abs.sh: line 102: syntax error near unexpected token `then' ./abs.sh: line 102: ` then' The Code Snippet is: if then cat $file1 | sed -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing strings

i have a string in a file which gets repeated number of times like below: rpttxt("abc") . . rpttxt("REP_TITLE") rpttxt("BOS_TITLE") . . . . and so on using awk or grep how can i comapre the string( as the second half keeps varying) and store it in a temporary variable? I am using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agarwal
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 strings

hi i have 2 strings. i want to compare the strings. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two strings

hi All i am facing prob in comparing two strings that have two word. below is the code snippet. checkValidates="file validates" file3_name="file" if then echo "file" $file3_name "is validated successfully" fi when i run this i get the error as -bash: [: too many arguments ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing strings using nawk

Hello All Please I have got a file called DATE.tex which consist of 01-04-2008_12:00:00 01-04-2005_12:00:00 01-04-2003_12:00:00 01-04-2007_12:00:00 01-04-2002_12:00:00 01-04-2009_12:00:00 I want to use nawk to print out the dates >=01-04-2009_12:00:00 I tried this cat plnt.new |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganiel24
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing strings with sed

Input: The the the the Output: not-same same What would be the sed command to do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings comparing incorrectly

Hello I'm very new to Linux and shell scripting so I only know basic stuff. I'm making a script with the purpose of finding the longest string or word in a file. Here's what I got so far: #!/bin/bash longest="" for i in $(strings -n $1); do if ] then longest=$i fi done echo $longest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCB
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing strings as ints

Hi, So I got his code below. $year is a string of 2010,2011 etc. I guess I want to convert $year to an integer so I can do my if statement to see if the year string is greater than 2010? Or how could I do this? Right now I get a syntax error doing this. if; then do stuff fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Strings in ksh88

Hi I tried the following string comparison script in Ksh88 #!/bin/ksh str1='aC' str2='ABC' if then echo "Equal" else echo "Not Equal" fi Though str1 and str2 are not equal the script output says Equal . Please correct me Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies
after(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  after(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
after - Execute a command after a time delay SYNOPSIS
after ms after ms ?script script script ...? after cancel id after cancel script script script ... after idle ?script script script ...? after info ?id? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to delay execution of the program or to execute a command in background sometime in the future. It has several forms, depending on the first argument to the command: after ms Ms must be an integer giving a time in milliseconds. The command sleeps for ms milliseconds and then returns. While the command is sleeping the application does not respond to events. after ms ?script script script ...? In this form the command returns immediately, but it arranges for a Tcl command to be executed ms milliseconds later as an event handler. The command will be executed exactly once, at the given time. The delayed command is formed by concatenating all the script arguments in the same fashion as the concat command. The command will be executed at global level (outside the context of any Tcl procedure). If an error occurs while executing the delayed command then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. The after command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after cancel. after cancel id Cancels the execution of a delayed command that was previously scheduled. Id indicates which command should be canceled; it must have been the return value from a previous after command. If the command given by id has already been executed then the after can- cel command has no effect. after cancel script script ... This command also cancels the execution of a delayed command. The script arguments are concatenated together with space separators (just as in the concat command). If there is a pending command that matches the string, it is cancelled and will never be executed; if no such command is currently pending then the after cancel command has no effect. after idle script ?script script ...? Concatenates the script arguments together with space separators (just as in the concat command), and arranges for the resulting script to be evaluated later as an idle callback. The script will be run exactly once, the next time the event loop is entered and there are no events to process. The command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after can- cel. If an error occurs while executing the script then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. after info ?id? This command returns information about existing event handlers. If no id argument is supplied, the command returns a list of the identifiers for all existing event handlers created by the after command for this interpreter. If id is supplied, it specifies an existing handler; id must have been the return value from some previous call to after and it must not have triggered yet or been cancelled. In this case the command returns a list with two elements. The first element of the list is the script associated with id, and the second element is either idle or timer to indicate what kind of event handler it is. The after ms and after idle forms of the command assume that the application is event driven: the delayed commands will not be executed unless the application enters the event loop. In applications that are not normally event-driven, such as tclsh, the event loop can be entered with the vwait and update commands. SEE ALSO
bgerror(n), concat(n), update(n), vwait(n) KEYWORDS
cancel, delay, idle callback, sleep, time Tcl 7.5 after(n)